Author Topic: And 700,000 died.  (Read 2580 times)

JB Horn

And 700,000 died.
« on: April 10, 2011, 03:50:29 pm »
2 Sam 24:15 So the LORD sent a pestilence upon Israel from the morning even to the time appointed: and there died of the people from Dan even to Beersheba 700,000 men. 16 And when the angel stretched out his hand upon Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD repented him of the evil, and said to the angel that destroyed the people, It is enough: stay now thine hand. And the angel of the LORD was by the threshingplace of Araunah the Jebusite. 17 And David spake unto the LORD when he saw the angel that smote the people, and said, Lo, I have sinned, and I have done wickedly: but these sheep, what have they done? let thine hand, I pray thee, be against me, and against my father’s house.

1 Chronicles 21:17 And David said unto God, Is it not I that commanded the people to be numbered? even I it is that have sinned and done evil indeed; but as for these sheep, what have they done? let thine hand, I pray thee, O LORD my God, be on me, and on my father’s house; but not on thy people, that they should be plagued.

The Lord has put us in kind of a quagmire, in Romans 13 our Lord commands us to obey our governments, explaining to us that our government leaders are appointed by Him.  We know from reading Joel 3 that God will call to judgment all nations that have plotted and the division of Jerusalem.  I chose the above text to show us that even though we obey faithfully the leadership of our government we are still held accountable for the actions of our leaders.  As we see when David disobeyed God's directive it was the people that David lead that received the wrath of God,700,000 of them were put to death because of David's disobedient to God's order.

I like to bring this situation to modern times.  In a democracy where the leadership is chosen by the will of the people, are not the people even more liable for the failure of their leaders to obey the commands of God?  In a country like America that has chosen its leadership by populist vote, how could we possibly look at God and say to him that it is not our fault for the sins of this nation (government) and instead point to God and say to him,"It is you that have chosen our leaders, so do not bring your wrath on us."

Election after election after election, the American people have put into power a government that has chosen to support the killing of unborn children for the purpose of convenience.  The government has chosen to use tax money collected from its citizenry to support these murders, at the same time hailing them as acts of compassion.  Many people look at this to be a small thing unfortunately the numbers go over 4000 abortions a day and have reached over 50 million since Roe vs. Wade.  As I type a fight is now going on in our Congress to defund one of the major abortion providers in America.  It is unfortunate and sad to see that even in hard times when money is hard to come by that the government leadership of America cannot justify stopping the murder of these innocent children.  Do not kid yourself this nation will pay for these sins as David's people paid for his sin.

Jeremiah 19:3 And say , Hear ye the word of the LORD, O kings of Judah, and inhabitants of Jerusalem; Thus saith the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel; Behold, I will bring evil upon this place, the which whosoever heareth , his ears shall tingle . 4 Because they have forsaken me, and have estranged this place, and have burned incense in it unto other gods, whom neither they nor their fathers have known , nor the kings of Judah, and have filled this place with the blood of innocents; 5 They have built also the high places of Baal, to burn their sons with fire for burnt offerings unto Baal, which I commanded not, nor spake it, neither came it into my mind:

IHS
JB

macuser

Re: And 700,000 died.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 04:34:06 pm »
It's not really a quagmire, as Paul said we should run the good race to the end. I believe that is why the controversy is put before us so that we can show Christ.

If no one was starving who would the Christians feed? If there were no prisons who would the Christian visit?