Author Topic: James 4:11-12  (Read 1234 times)

clark thompson

James 4:11-12
« on: June 02, 2013, 02:32:07 pm »

James 4:11-12

New King James Version (NKJV)

Do Not Judge a Brother

11 Do not speak evil of one another, brethren. He who speaks evil of a brother and judges his brother, speaks evil of the law and judges the law. But if you judge the law, you are not a doer of the law but a judge. 12 There is one Lawgiver, who is able to save and to destroy. Who are you to judge another?

These are my thoughts please share yours.

11 We are not to talk bad about a brother or sister in Christ but we are to talk to them for help they may need. We are not judge a brother or sister because their sins are covered by the blood and we are to advice them to live right. Christ is the judge and if someone has Christ they are spared His judgement because their sins are under His blood. We should live with a right with the Lord so that other believers will as well but, also because we should want to live right before the Lord.

12 We did not die for people sins and we are just as much of a sinner as anyone else, we all deserve hell but, Christ made a way to avoid hell thru Him.

Better to be a servant of the King than to be a king in hell.

Zant Law

• ZLaw
Re: James 4:11-12
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 03:38:27 pm »
I see these verses as totally deferent then you, Br. Clark.

The Law makes (has already made) the judgement and we are to judge the breaking of the Law, but not the person or the Law.

Matthew 18:15 "If your brother sins against you, go and rebuke him in private. If he listens to you, you have won your brother. 16 But if he won't listen, take one or two more with you, so that by the testimony of two or three witnesses every fact may be established. 17 If he pays no attention to them, tell the church. But if he doesn't pay attention even to the church, let him be like an unbeliever and a tax collector to you.

I believe James is telling us that by speaking evil of someone we are circumventing the law and making a judgement we are not qualified to make. On the other hand, Christ is telling us not to allow unrepented sin in the Church.

biblebuf

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 04:26:11 pm »
I have to go along with ZLaw on this one.

1 Corinthians 5:11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner--not even to eat with such a person. 12 For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside?

Fat

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 10:49:31 pm »
I'll go off on a deferent direction just to be my contrary self.

God's law is sovereign and cannot be challenged by man. By using man's law to judge a person that is no longer of this world ( John 17:14, 16) you are challenging God's sovereignty.