Author Topic: predestination  (Read 13317 times)

Fat

Re: predestination
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 06:29:38 pm »

>>Matt. 23:37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thou that killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

In this text it is Jesus Himself pleading with Jerusalem. There are two points here that need observation: 1) What Jesus has 'willed' to do (the use of the word "would" shows 'desire'); and 2) Jerusalem's response to this 'call'.<<
1) In both your quoted verses there was no Cross to go to.
2) You should read Matthew 23 in context, He was addressing the scribes and Pharisees.

Matthew 23:32-39 HCS
32 Fill up, then, the measure of your fathers' sins! 33 "Snakes! Brood of vipers! How can you escape being condemned to hell? 34 This is why I am sending you prophets, sages, and scribes. Some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will flog in your synagogues and hound from town to town. 35 So all the righteous blood shed on the earth will be charged to you, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the sanctuary and the altar. 36 I assure you: All these things will come on this generation!
37 "Jerusalem, Jerusalem! The city who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her. How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, yet you were not willing! 38 See, your house is left to you desolate. 39 For I tell you, you will never see Me again until you say, Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord! "

>>>>The people of Israel (and Jerusalem) will be judged by Christ.

2 Tim. 4:8 Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day: and not to me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing.

I am drawing attention to The Lord being  "righteous judge". A righteous judge judges righteously. My question therefore is, What does a righteous judge use to make a judgement?<<<
What did He use to judge the world before He called for the flood? What did He use to judge Sodom?

All Christians will also be judged by Christ, "but unto all them also that love his appearing".

The Bible tells us of two judgments:
1) The judgment of the lost: Rev. 20:11-15. It is called the "Great White Throne Judgment".
2) The judgment of the saved: 1 Cor. 3:10-23,  2 Cor. 5:10-11.

1 Corinthians 11:32 KJV
But when we are judged , we are chastened of the Lord, that we should not be condemned with the world.

Now back to predestination.

2 Thessalonians 2
7 For the mystery of lawlessness is already at work ; only he who now restrains will do so until he is taken out of the way. 8 Then that lawless one will be revealed whom the Lord will slay with the breath of His mouth and bring to an end by the appearance of His coming ; 9 that is, the one whose coming is in accord with the activity of Satan, with all power and signs and false wonders, 10 and with all the deception of wickedness for those who perish, because they did not receive the love of the truth so as to be saved. 11 For this reason God will send upon them a deluding influence so that they will believe what is false, 12 in order that they all may be judged who did not believe the truth, but took pleasure in wickedness. 13 But we should always give thanks to God for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God has chosen you from the beginning for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and faith in the truth. 14 It was for this He called you through our gospel, that you may gain the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

And back to John 6 in case you missed it.

John 6:37 "All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. 38 "For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me. 39 "This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. 40 "For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day." 44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him;and I will raise him up on the last day. 45 "It is written in the prophets, 'AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT OF GOD.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me …
65 And He was saying, "For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father."

You see the word all in vs 37? How about the word  Everyone? Do you see where it says, "no one can come to Me unless", in vs 65?

In the vs 65 the word divdwmi is translated as granted or given in some translations.

Bob

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2013, 12:01:15 am »
I remembered an audio sermon I uploaded that I thought might be worth some thought.

Here is a cut'n paste from the text.

NO. 187 PROVIDENCE by C.H Spurgeon

I will take a Scripture history and show how the little events must have been of God, as well as
the great results. When Joseph was sent into Egypt by his brothers, in order to provide for them against a day of famine,
we all agree with Joseph’s declaration, “It was God that sent me here.” But now, if we notice each of the little ways
through which this great result was brought to pass, we shall see God in each of them. One day Joseph’s brothers are out
with the sheep. Jacob wants to send to them. Why does he send Joseph? He was his darling son—he loved him better than
all his brothers. Why does he send him away? He sends him. Then why should it have happened at that particular time
that Jacob should want to send at all? However, he did want to send and he did send Joseph—a mere accident you will
say—but quite necessary as the foundation of the structure! Joseph goes. His brothers are in need of pasture and, therefore,
leave Shechem, where Joseph expected to find them and journeys on to Dothan. Why go to Dothan? Was not the
whole land before them? However Joseph goes there. He arrives at Dothan just when they are thinking of him and his
dreams and they put him into a pit. As they are about to eat bread, some Ishmaelites came by. Why did they come there at
all? Why did they come at that particular time? Why were they going to Egypt? Why might they not have been going
another way? Why was it that the Ishmaelite wanted to buy slaves? Why might they not have been trading in some other
commodity? However Joseph is sold. But he is not disposed of on the road to Egypt—he is taken to the land. Why is it
that Potiphar is to buy him? Why is it that Potiphar has a wife, at all? Why is it again, that Potiphar’s wife should be so
full of lust? Why should Joseph get into prison? How is it that the baker and the butler should offend their master? All
chance, as the world has it, but every link necessary to make the chain! They do both offend their master. They are both
put into prison. How is it that they both dream? How is it that Joseph interprets the dreams? How is it that the butler
forgets him? Why? Because if he had remembered him, it would have spoiled it all! Why is it Pharaoh dreams? How can
dreams be under the arrangement of God’s Providence? However, Pharaoh does dream and the butler then thinks of Joseph.
Joseph is brought out of prison and taken before Pharaoh.
Take away any of those simple circumstances—break any one of the links of the chain and the whole of the design is
scattered to the winds! You cannot get the machine to work if any of the minute cogs of the wheels are taken away—
everything becomes disarranged. I think it seems very clear to any man who will dissect not only that but any other history
he likes to fix upon, there must be a God in the little accidents and dealings of daily life, as well as in the great results
that tell upon the pages of history and are recounted in our songs! God is to be seen in little things!
We will now notice in the minutiae of Providence, how punctual Providence always is. You will never wonder more
at Providence than when you consider how well God keeps time with Himself. To return to our history—how is it that
the Ishmaelites should come by just at that time? How many thousand chances there were that their journey might have
been taken just before! There certainly was no special train to call at that station at that particular time so that Joseph’s
brothers might arrange to go and call him. No such thing! And yet if there had been all this arrangement, it could not
have happened better. You know Reuben intended to fetch Joseph out of the pit half an hour later and “the child was
not.” God had these Ishmaelites ready—you do not know how He may have sped them on their journey, or delayed them
so as to bring them on the spot punctually at the exact moment!

Here is the full sermon.

http://inhisword.net/spur/mp3/no187.mp3

Jack Koons

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2013, 05:09:07 am »
What God owes me.

Absolutely nothing. Notta. Zero.

Jesus paid it all, All to Him I owe; Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow!

Was God unjust to choose the Jews as His people? Absolutely not. There is however a flaw in the 'application' of that question. I understand that you will insinuate that your application is proper; but the fact that you say it, doesn't make it factual.

God choosing the Jews to show His greatness, and God choosing to condemn millions of souls; are two completely different issues.

The one choice is about the use of a nation, while the other is the literal condemnation of untold millions.

"Look at what God says He is going to do to nations that take land from them, is that your God?"

Yes, very much so. I believe wholeheartedly that God is just. The nations to which you refer make a choice; they make the wrong choice. That is why they receive the judgement they do at the hand of God.

"By the way do you think that Satan does not believe Jesus is the Son of God?"

Mauser,

All the questions (except the last one) seemed to be legitimate. Them came the one above. Did you you really ask me that question? Well, let's see. Lucifer (Satan) was the anointed cherub. That probably means that he is pretty sure as to the identity of The Son of God. James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.   All of the fallen angels know who the Son of God is; the problem is that I believe (without taking a rabbit trail, and without opening a new subject) that there was a time in Heaven, when every member of the 'angelic host' was given a choice: God, or Lucifer. (The ones that chose wrong figured out they made the wrong choice, too late.) but the short answer is yes, they all know who Jesus is.

Why I find this question so amazing is that it is Jesus Himself who said, "Be not afraid, only believe." So when you insinuate with your question that salvation comes via another way than belief I'm the Son of God; I am forced to ask, How are you being saved?

And it's nice to meet you as well!

Jack

macuser

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 01:47:29 pm »
Hello Jack

God choosing the Jews to show His greatness, and God choosing to condemn millions of souls; are two completely different issues.

Oh I see.
Exodus 12:23 "For the LORD will pass through to smite the Egyptians ; and when He sees the blood on the lintel and on the two doorposts, the LORD will pass over the door and will not allow the destroyer to come in to your houses to smite you.

I wonder why the Egyptians didn't put the blood on their door. It is amazing that Christ crucifixion came on the observance of that day.

All the questions (except the last one) seemed to be legitimate. Them came the one above. Did you you really ask me that question? Well, let's see. Lucifer (Satan) was the anointed cherub. That probably means that he is pretty sure as to the identity of The Son of God. James 2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.   All of the fallen angels know who the Son of God is; the problem is that I believe (without taking a rabbit trail, and without opening a new subject) that there was a time in Heaven, when every member of the 'angelic host' was given a choice: God, or Lucifer. (The ones that chose wrong figured out they made the wrong choice, too late.) but the short answer is yes, they all know who Jesus is.

All mankind chose to do the wrong thing. Do you disagree?

Why I find this question so amazing is that it is Jesus Himself who said, "Be not afraid, only believe." So when you insinuate with your question that salvation comes via another way than belief I'm the Son of God; I am forced to ask, How are you being saved?

So you are saying it takes more than belief, it takes a choice. That is not consistent with what you said earlier however let's move on. There are two actions, acknowledgement and then repentance.

Repentance is a change of mind, a change of attitude, a complete turning around of your life.

From reading your post you appear to believe that this was done by you on your own accord. But what does the bible teach us?

Acts 5:31 NAS
"He is the one whom God exalted to His right hand as a Prince and a
Savior, to grant repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18 NAS
When they heard this, they quieted down and glorified God, saying, "Well
then, God has granted to the Gentiles also the repentance that leads to
life."

Romans 2:4 NAS
Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and
patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance ?

2 Corinthians 7:9 NAS
I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made
sorrowful to the point of repentance ; for you were made sorrowful
according to the will of God
, so that you might not suffer loss in
anything through us.

2 Corinthians 7:10 NAS
For the sorrow that is according to the will of God produces a repentance
without regret, leading to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces
death.

2 Timothy 2:25 NAS
with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may
grant them repentance
leading to the knowledge of the truth,

So what say you Jack, do you content that the death of sinners because of God's righteous judgement does not bring glory to His name?

Jack Koons

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2013, 08:27:13 am »

The following was copied from "Apologetics"/"Regeneration and the Holy Spirit", a topic that was started by Fat.

"Regeneration and the Holy Spirit
“Ye must be born again.” This word of our Lord Jesus has appeared to flame in the way of many, like the drawn sword of the cherub at the gate of Paradise. They have despaired, because this change is beyond their utmost effort. The new birth is from above, and therefore it is not in the creature’s power. Now, it is far from my mind to deny, or ever to conceal, a truth in order to create a false comfort. I freely admit that the new birth is supernatural, and that it cannot be wrought by the sinner’s own self. It would be a poor help to my reader if I were wicked enough to try to cheer him by persuading him to reject or forget what is unquestionably true.
But is it not remarkable that the very chapter in which our Lord makes this sweeping declaration also contains the most explicit statement as to salvation by faith? Read the third chapter of John’s Gospel and do not dwell alone upon its earlier sentences. It is true that the third verse says:
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
But, then, the fourteenth and fifteenth verses speak:
And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up: that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
The eighteenth verse repeats the same doctrine in the broadest terms:
He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
It is clear to every reader that these two statements must agree, since they came from the same lips, and are recorded on the same inspired page. Why should we make a difficulty where there can be none? If one statement assures us of the necessity to salvation of a something, which only God can give, and if another assures us that the Lord will save us upon our believing in Jesus, then we may safely conclude that the Lord will give to those who believe all that is declared to be necessary to salvation. The Lord does, in fact, produce the new birth in all who believe in Jesus; and their believing is the surest evidence that they are born again.
We trust in Jesus for what we cannot do ourselves: if it were in our own power, what need of looking to Him? It is ours to believe, it is the Lord’s to create us anew. He will not believe for us, neither are we to do regenerating work for Him. It is enough for us to obey the gracious command; it is for the Lord to work the new birth in us. He who could go so far as to die on the cross for us, can and will give us all things that are needful for our eternal safety.
“But a saving change of heart is the work of the Holy Spirit.” This also is most true, and let it be far from us to question it, or to forget it. But the work of the Holy Spirit is secret and mysterious, and it can only be perceived by its results. There are mysteries about our natural birth into which it would be an unhallowed curiosity to pry: still more is this the case with the sacred operations of the Spirit of God. “The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, or whither it goeth; so is every one that is born of the Spirit.” This much, however, we do know—the mysterious work of the Holy Spirit cannot be a reason for refusing to believe in Jesus to whom that same Spirit beareth witness.
If a man were bidden to sow a field, he could not excuse his neglect by saying that it would be useless to sow unless God caused the seed to grow. He would not be justified in neglecting tillage because the secret energy of God alone can create a harvest. No one is hindered in the ordinary pursuits of life by the fact that unless the Lord build the house they labor in vain that build it. It is certain that no man who believes in Jesus will ever find that the Holy Spirit refuses to work in him: in fact, his believing is the proof that the Spirit is already at work in his heart.
God works in providence, but men do not therefore sit still. They could not move without the divine power giving them life and strength, and yet they proceed upon their way without question; the power being bestowed from day to day by Him in whose hand their breath is, and whose are all their ways. So is it in grace. We repent and believe, though we could do neither if the Lord did not enable us. We forsake sin and trust in Jesus, and then we perceive that the Lord has wrought in us to will and to do of His own good pleasure. It is idle to pretend that there is any real difficulty in the matter.
Some truths which it is hard to explain in words are simple enough in actual experience. There is no discrepancy between the truth that the sinner believes, and that his faith is wrought in him by the Holy Spirit. Only folly can lead men to puzzle themselves about plain matters while their souls are in danger. No man would refuse to enter a lifeboat because he did not know the specific gravity of bodies; neither would a starving man decline to eat till he understood the whole process of nutrition. If you, my reader, will not believe till you can understand all mysteries, you will never be saved at all; and if you allow self-invented difficulties to keep you from accepting pardon through your Lord and Saviour, you will perish in a condemnation which will be richly deserved. Do not commit spiritual suicide through a passion for discussing metaphysical subtleties.

BY C.H. SPURGEON

He is known today as 'The Prince of Preachers' for obvious reasons.

He has certainly spoken the truth. This leaves the reader with a choice: 1) Believe, and be saved; or 2) Continue to not believe, and commit 'spiritual suicide'.

How do we believe? When we are in spiritual darkness, the Light shines upon our souls. While our flesh loves darkness, the Holy Spirit speaks to us through our spirit. We then, like Adam on the Garden must choose; do we accept the Truth, the Life, Jesus; or, do we cling to our pride, and reject the Light.

Herein lies the balance of truth. The Father has given us His Son, along with the witness of the Holy Spirit. We must choose: pronounce ourselves guilty of sin deserving the wrath of God upon our souls, and accept the work of Christ to make atonement for our sin. Only by accepting His finished work can we have eternal life that cannot be lost, or taken away. Acceptance comes through believing; believing comes when we are convinced that God is telling the truth in His Word.

Simply put, the Holy Spirit bears witness to our spirit so that we can believe what God says about us being Hell deserving sinners, in need of God's salvation. Believing God causes us to choose His salvation.

Please understand; providence is not predestination. Providence is the result of 'foreknowledge'. Because God is God, He knew before the foundation of the world, He knew every decision every soul would make concerning ever matter in their lives, including accepting, or rejecting His grace. God in His provision arranged for example every event in Joseph's life.

Ex. 20: 5Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourthgeneration of them that hate me;

As time passes from generation to generation, each generation that rejects God's grace (by choice), passes this curse on to the next generation (whether they realize it or not). Matt. 27: 25 The answered all the people, and said, His blood be on us, and on our children.

God does not predestinates every action in our life; but as Spurgeon stated, God can cause events in our life to happen sooner, or later to fit His schedule. Again, this is providence, not predestination.

God gives all of mankind the same witness in order to believe; it is up to each individual to make a choice, based on that witness.

Notice his words above, "It is ours to believe, it is the Lord’s to create us anew."

Jack

macuser

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2013, 10:43:52 am »
You asked me a question Jack, I answerd your question and you're not responding to it.

Does this mean that you agree or disagree that repentance is required for salvation?

Mac

Fat

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 01:20:05 pm »
Quote from: Jack Koons
Please understand; providence is not predestination. Providence is the result of 'foreknowledge'. Because God is God, He knew before the foundation of the world, He knew every decision every soul would make concerning ever matter in their lives, including accepting, or rejecting His grace. God in His provision arranged for example every event in Joseph's life.

I'm having a hard time understanding your example of Joseph's life. Are you suggesting that God did not interfere in the decisions made by men that eventually brought Joseph to be in the position to glorify God?

Nobody is disputing that we must believe, the question is how do we come to that belief.

Mark 9:24 Immediately the boy's father cried out and said, "I do believe ; help my unbelief."

John 6:43 Jesus answered and said to them, "Do not grumble among yourselves. 44 "No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day. 45 "It is written in the prophets, 'AND THEY SHALL ALL BE TAUGHT OF GOD.' Everyone who has heard and learned from the Father, comes to Me. 46 "Not that anyone has seen the Father, except the One who is from God ; He has seen the Father. 47 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.

Jack Koons

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2013, 04:38:51 am »
John 12: 32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Jack Koons

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 07:57:09 am »
"Adam and Eve prove that man is sinful on his own and he needs no help from God.
You have to admit yourself that God knew Adam would sin when he put the tree in the garden."

Both of the above statements are true; however, the latter insinuates that, since God knew what Adam would do, He was predestined to do it. (So much for the Covenant of Works.) Foreknowledge is not predestination. This is the entire problem with Calvinism. Calvinists are taught that foreknowledge is predestination. This is not the case.

Years ago Martha Stewart used information she knew about an event in the trade industry, 'foreknowledge' to make money. She did not make the event happen 'predestination'. This illustration is only to serve as a distinction between foreknowledge, and predestination.

God in His wisdom uses His foreknowledge to intervene (not interfere [there is a difference]) in providence to keep His plan on schedule.

Every interpretation of scripture viewed by a Jehovah's Witness is tweaked to take away the Deity of Christ; every interpretation of scripture viewed by an Arminian is tweaked to only stress the will of man; and every scripture viewed by a Calvinist is tweaked in the light of predestination.

John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

1) It says God so loved the "world" ...
A Calvinists sees, For God so loved "the elect" ...

2) It says "whosoever believers" ...
A Calvinist sees, "whosoever of the elect that believeth" ...

When we go to schools of 'higher learning' we are taught what the 'school' wants us to know and believe.

For example, I just posted, John 12: 32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
A Calvinist sees, And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all of "the elect" men unto me.

Rather than read what is written, we learn to read through a filter that only lets us see what the school wants us to see. Right about now is when people get really upset. You see, it is okay for the school on the right end of the spectrum to say that the left end of the spectrum is teaching false doctrine; but it's not okay for the left end of the spectrum to say that the right end of the spectrum is teaching false doctrine. What is funny to me, is that I have studied at both ends of the spectrum (Dispensationalism and Calvinism) and heard nothing but hate and contempt for the other side.

So I say again, foreknowledge is not predestination!

Fat,

You said,

"1) In both your quoted verses there was no Cross to go to.
2) You should read Matthew 23 in context, He was addressing the scribes and Pharisees. "

Are you now a Dispensationalist?

I am fully aware of who He was talking to, Matthew 23: 1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

This is an example of that filtering.

The Bible says, Matthew 23: 1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

Fat says, "1) In both your quoted verses there was no Cross to go to.
2) You should read Matthew 23 in context, He was addressing the scribes and Pharisees. "

Now the Bible says Jesus spake to "the multitude, and to his disciples", Fat says, "He was addressing the scribes and Pharisees."

Did you see that filtering?

Jack

Fat

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 09:20:09 am »
There is filtering and misleading.

First let's take John 12:32 and look at it in context.

32 "And I, if I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all men to Myself."

Here again as in John 6 Christ use the word all. Jack says this is not the elect Christ is speaking of. Then John 12 and John 6 are in conflict with each other. Or that there are no atheist in the world, or Christ Lied.  READ ON. 

33 But He was saying this to indicate the kind of death by which He was to die. 34 The crowd then answered Him, "We have heard out of the Law that the Christ is to remain forever ; and how can You say, 'The Son of Man must be lifted up'? Who is this Son of Man ?" 35 So Jesus said to them, "For a little while longer the Light is among you. Walk while you have the Light, so that darkness will not overtake you; he who walks in the darkness does not know where he goes. 36 "While you have the Light, believe in the Light, so that you may become sons of Light." These things Jesus spoke, and He went away and hid Himself from them. 37 But though He had performed so many signs before them, yet they were not believing in Him. 38 This was to fulfill the word of Isaiah the prophet which he spoke : "LORD, WHO HAS BELIEVED OUR REPORT ? AND TO WHOM HAS THE ARM OF THE LORD BEEN REVEALED ?" 39 For this reason they could not believe, for Isaiah said again, 40 "HE HAS BLINDED THEIR EYES AND HE HARDENED THEIR HEART, SO THAT THEY WOULD NOT SEE WITH THEIR EYES AND PERCEIVE WITH THEIR HEART, AND BE CONVERTED AND I HEAL THEM" 41 These things Isaiah said because he saw His glory, and he spoke of Him.

This is an example of that filtering.

The Bible says, Matthew 23: 1 Then spake Jesus to the multitude, and to his disciples,

Fat says, "1) In both your quoted verses there was no Cross to go to.

Now the Bible says Jesus spake to "the multitude, and to his disciples", Fat says, "He was addressing the scribes and Pharisees."

And let's look at Matt 23 this verse comes right after the eight woes given to the Pharisees.

13 "But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you shut off the kingdom of heaven from people ; for you do not enter in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in. 14 ["Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you devour widows' houses, and for a pretense you make long prayers ; therefore you will receive greater condemnation.] 15 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites, because you travel around on sea and land to make one proselyte ; and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves. 16 "Woe to you, blind guides, who say, 'Whoever swears by the temple, that is nothing ; but whoever swears by the gold of the temple is obligated.' 17 "You fools and blind men ! Which is more important, the gold or the temple that sanctified the gold ? 18 "And, 'Whoever swears by the altar, that is nothing, but whoever swears by the offering on it, he is obligated.' 19 "You blind men, which is more important, the offering, or the altar that sanctifies the offering ? 20 "Therefore, whoever swears by the altar, swears both by the altar and by everything on it. 21 "And whoever swears by the temple, swears both by the temple and by Him who dwells within it. 22 "And whoever swears by heaven, swears both by the throne of God and by Him who sits upon it. 23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites ! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law : justice and mercy and faithfulness ; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others. 24 "You blind guides, who strain out a gnat and swallow a camel ! 25 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites ! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence. 26 "You blind Pharisee, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also. 27 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites ! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness. 28 "So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness. 29 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites ! For you build the tombs of the prophets and adorn the monuments of the righteous, 30 and say, 'If we had been living in the days of our fathers, we would not have been partners with them in shedding the blood of the prophets.' 31 "So you testify against yourselves, that you are sons of those who murdered the prophets. 32 "Fill up, then, the measure of the guilt of your fathers. 33 "You serpents, you brood of vipers, how will you escape the sentence of hell ? 34 "Therefore , behold, I am sending you prophets and wise men and scribes ; some of them you will kill and crucify, and some of them you will scourge in your synagogues, and persecute from city to city, 35 so that upon you may fall the guilt of all the righteous blood shed on earth, from the blood of righteous Abel to the blood of Zechariah, the son of Berechiah, whom you murdered between the temple and the altar. 36 "Truly I say to you, all these things will come upon this generation.

Jack Koons

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 09:34:29 am »
Mathew 23: 37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thouthat killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Do you see the words "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem? The Pharisees were in the multitude, and He rebuked them openly, in public. But he is talking to the "multitude". Take off your filter, and look at what the Bible says!

Jack

macuser

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 09:38:25 am »
I seems to me that refusing to address scriptures but to you for consideration is a form of filtering.

Fat

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 10:20:09 am »
Mathew 23: 37 O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, thouthat killest the prophets, and stonest them which are sent unto thee, how often would I have gathered thy children together, even as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, and ye would not!

Do you see the words "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem? The Pharisees were in the multitude, and He rebuked them openly, in public. But he is talking to the "multitude". Take off your filter, and look at what the Bible says!

Jack

They were all Jews Jack.

Read the verse it comes after the condemnation of the Pharisees.

But let's say this verse is directed only to the Jews who were not Disciples or Pharisees and for the most part not at this gathering. Do you believe that there is only one Will of God or do you believe that there are two Wills of God? Most of your learned academia friends would say there are two, does not this verse show them to be correct?
Isn't it in the same frame as Paul wrote to Timothy?
  1 Timothy 2:4 who desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Bob

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 11:19:44 am »
Jack, Fat

You both miss the real point.

Matthew 23:37 as in dozens of other verses shows the love God has for His CHOSEN PEOPLE.

Deuteronomy 7:6 NAS "For you are a holy people to the LORD your God ; the LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for His own possession out of all the peoples who are on the face of the earth.

2 Chronicles 6:6 NAS but I have chosen Jerusalem that My name might be there, and I have chosen David to be over My people Israel.'

Jack you talk of filters. WOW!

Jack Koons

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 01:59:29 pm »
Hello Bob,

"Matthew 23:37 as in dozens of other verses shows the love God has for His CHOSEN PEOPLE. "

Are you saying God only loves Jews?

Jack