Author Topic: Is there another way?  (Read 5967 times)

Zant Law

• ZLaw
Re: Is there another way?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2013, 12:59:11 pm »

Ezekiel 33 says that God has called us to be a watchman on the wall. To sound the trumpet, and warn the people of danger. If those Marines would have walked by me, and would not have given them warning; their blood would have been on my hands. If they were just two young wicked Marines that weren't part of the 'elect', why would their blood be on my hands? God didn't choose them. They were wicked, and ungodly; they got what they deserved, right? That is predestination.

This is predestination Jack.

Romans 8:28-39

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. 29 For whom he did foreknow , he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate , them he also called : and whom he called , them he also justified : and whom he justified , them he also glorified . 31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? 32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth . 34 Who is he that condemneth ? It is Christ that died , yea rather , that is risen again , who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written , For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. 37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 38 For I am persuaded , that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present , nor things to come , 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

It's in the Bible Jack, get over it.

Moss

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2013, 02:08:39 pm »
Quote from: Jack Koons
The reason their blood would have been on my hands is because their souls are precious to God the Father.

Their blood, however, is not on my hands. These two young Marines will stand before God and have no reason to give God for refusing Him. Fifteen minutes before they entered eternity those two Marines were warned of the danger ahead. I do not want to make it sound like I don't care about those Marines, I most definitely did, That is why we were there witnessing on the streets. The point is, I have them the gospel, showing them their need to be saved. But in the final analysts, they CHOOSE not to accept Christ as Saviour; and that is why they are condemned, with their blood on their own hands.

The truth is if you truly believe in free will than the blood of these two Marines is on your hands. For you failed to convince them of their need for immediate salvation. For if these two young lads were free to make that choice then there is no reason to assume that you could not have influenced their decision.

You can't have it both ways, either they had free will or they were not part of the elect.

A Calvinist on the other hand gives the message of the gospel and answers any questions or gives any assistance to those being ministered to. Calvinist does not know if the person he is talking to is a member of the elect are not. He knows that Christ's sheep shall hear his voice and follow him.

John 10:14 CSB
"I am the good shepherd. I know My own sheep, and they know Me,

John 10:26 CSB
But you don't believe because you are not My sheep.

John 10:27 CSB
My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me.

This is cut and dry, those that are not His sheep can not believe, your Marines did not believe. WHY?

Jack Koons

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2013, 03:22:14 pm »
Are we getting a little angry Zant?

Romans 8:
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to beconformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

This clearly teaches predestination of something; but what is predestinating to happen?

"To be conformed to the image of his Son" ...

Now 'who' is God predestinating to the image of His Son?

"Whom he did foreknowledge" ...

The predestination of this text is NOT   Predestination of the ELECT that are better and holier, because they are part of the ELECT.

What you refuse to accept is that God "foreknew" because He is God who would,and wouldn't see the light of the gospel and accept Him as Saviour before the foundation of the world. Based on that knowledge, (who would choose to believe His word, His witness, causing them to repent) they would be His elect, because when they would look to the cross; they would be drawn to Him.

Those who are not drawn, are not drawn because they resist the Holy Spirit.

Acts 7: 51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

This is the problem with predestination, there is no willingness to surrender because of a broken and contrite heart. It's all about, I'm saved because I'm part of the elect.

God gets glory for condemning untold millions of souls because they were "ungodly". When I read my Bible, I see a God who grieves over lost souls.

Any sovereign dictator can rule a country, killing whomever he wishes, if they do not do as he wishes. However, it takes a wise, loving ruler to show his subjects the truth; and thereby get them to follow him through love, and adoration.

The God of the Bible in His wisdom and foreknowledge of the "whosoever" of the "all" of the "world" through all the ages, predestinated those individuals to be conformed to the image of his Son.

To believe anything else would take a deliberate effort to eradicate nearly every "whosoever" said by Jesus. When he said whosoever, He meant whosoever.

Jack

Jack Koons

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2013, 03:38:04 pm »
Hello Moss,

You need to read Ez 33 before speaking in ignorance.

Ez. 33:
2 Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman:
3 If when he seeth the sword come upon the land, he blow the trumpet, and warn the people;
4 Then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come, and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head.
5 He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning; his blood shall be upon him. But he that taketh warning shall deliver his soul.

Nowhere does this text state that you must convince them of anything. It says you must give them the warning.

Notice verse 4 and 5  4 Then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come, and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head. 5 He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning; his blood shall be upon him. But he that taketh warning shall deliver his soul.

The responsibility of the watchman is to sound the trumpet warning the people. The responsibility of the people is to respond to the warning. It does not say the watchman must take him to see the danger and so fourth; his responsibility is to blow the trumpet, the people have the responsibility of choosing to take heed to the warning, or reject the warning.

This is a type of our responsibility as believers; to blow the trumpet, give the warning. The people then must choose.

Jack

Zant Law

• ZLaw
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 04:08:06 pm »
Are we getting a little angry Zant?

Romans 8:
29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to beconformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

This clearly teaches predestination of something; but what is predestinating to happen?

"To be conformed to the image of his Son" ...

Now 'who' is God predestinating to the image of His Son?

"Whom he did foreknowledge" ...

The predestination of this text is NOT   Predestination of the ELECT that are better and holier, because they are part of the ELECT.

What you refuse to accept is that God "foreknew" because He is God who would,and wouldn't see the light of the gospel and accept Him as Saviour before the foundation of the world. Based on that knowledge, (who would choose to believe His word, His witness, causing them to repent) they would be His elect, because when they would look to the cross; they would be drawn to Him.

Those who are not drawn, are not drawn because they resist the Holy Spirit.

Acts 7: 51 Ye stiffnecked and uncircumcised in heart and ears, ye do always resist the Holy Ghost: as your fathers did, so do ye.

This is the problem with predestination, there is no willingness to surrender because of a broken and contrite heart. It's all about, I'm saved because I'm part of the elect.

God gets glory for condemning untold millions of souls because they were "ungodly". When I read my Bible, I see a God who grieves over lost souls.

Any sovereign dictator can rule a country, killing whomever he wishes, if they do not do as he wishes. However, it takes a wise, loving ruler to show his subjects the truth; and thereby get them to follow him through love, and adoration.

The God of the Bible in His wisdom and foreknowledge of the "whosoever" of the "all" of the "world" through all the ages, predestinated those individuals to be conformed to the image of his Son.

To believe anything else would take a deliberate effort to eradicate nearly every "whosoever" said by Jesus. When he said whosoever, He meant whosoever.

Jack

Let me post it again for you Jack. If posting the Scriptures is an angry act may I be always angry.

Romans 8:28-39

28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. 29 For whom he did foreknow , he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren. 30 Moreover whom he did predestinate , them he also called : and whom he called , them he also justified : and whom he justified , them he also glorified . 31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? 32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things? 33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth . 34 Who is he that condemneth ? It is Christ that died , yea rather , that is risen again , who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? 36 As it is written , For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. 37 Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. 38 For I am persuaded , that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present , nor things to come , 39 Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

How many Jews did God let die so that God's prophecy of Israel would come to pass in 1948?

Moss

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 04:22:11 pm »
Hello Moss,

You need to read Ez 33 before speaking in ignorance.

Ez. 33:
2 Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman:
3 If when he seeth the sword come upon the land, he blow the trumpet, and warn the people;
4 Then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come, and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head.
5 He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning; his blood shall be upon him. But he that taketh warning shall deliver his soul.

I was responding to your statement and I quote:
The reason their blood would have been on my hands is because their souls are precious to God the Father.

Their blood, however, is not on my hands. These two young Marines will stand before God and have no reason to give God for refusing Him. Fifteen minutes before they entered eternity those two Marines were warned of the danger ahead. I do not want to make it sound like I don't care about those Marines, I most definitely did, That is why we were there witnessing on the streets. The point is, I have them the gospel, showing them their need to be saved. But in the final analysts, they CHOOSE not to accept Christ as Saviour; and that is why they are condemned, with their blood on their own hands.

I believe that the Bible does not contradict itself. Your chosen verse is not contradict Christ words and I'll repost them here in case you forgot.

The truth is if you truly believe in free will than the blood of these two Marines is on your hands. For you failed to convince them of their need for immediate salvation. For if these two young lads were free to make that choice then there is no reason to assume that you could not have influenced their decision.

You can't have it both ways, either they had free will or they were not part of the elect.

A Calvinist on the other hand gives the message of the gospel and answers any questions or gives any assistance to those being ministered to. Calvinist does not know if the person he is talking to is a member of the elect are not. He knows that Christ's sheep shall hear his voice and follow him.

John 10:14 CSB
"I am the good shepherd. I know My own sheep, and they know Me,

John 10:26 CSB
But you don't believe because you are not My sheep.

John 10:27 CSB
My sheep hear My voice, I know them, and they follow Me.

This is cut and dry, those that are not His sheep can not believe, your Marines did not believe. WHY?

Can you answer my question, can you answer anyones questions? Can you respond to Fat's repeated post for John 6?

Jack Koons

« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2013, 12:10:00 pm »
"The truth is if you truly believe in free will than the blood of these two Marines is on your hands. For you failed to convince them of their need for immediate salvation. For if these two young lads were free to make that choice then there is no reason to assume that you could not have influenced their decision."

Let's look at the above:

"The truth is if you truly believe in free will than the blood of these two Marines is on your hands."

If I get up late for work because I choose (in my free will) to ignore my alarm and sleep in; my alarm clock is not responsible. The alarm went off, like it was supposed to. I (me, Jack) CHOOSE to ignore it. I knew the consequences, and thought to myself, "Phooey", I'm not getting up, so there"! THE ALARM CLOCK IS NOT RESPONSIBLE; IT DID IT'S JOB!

"For you failed to convince them of their need for immediate salvation."

Ezekiel 33 states the only responsibility of the watchman is to "blow the trumpet, and warn the people". Notice verse 5: "he heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning". It says nothing about the watchman having any other responsibility.

"For if these two young lads were free to make that choice then there is no reason to assume that you could not have influenced their decision."

Let me make sure I understand you correctly: you are saying, if a person is 'free to make a choice', there is "no reason to assume that you could not have influenced their decision".

For other people that may be reading this, I will say it in a less confusing way.

"If a person is "free to make a choice", there is reason to assume that you could have influenced their decision". Well, duh!

Have you considered that was the ENTIRE  REASON FOR THE WATCHMAN?

I want you to understand when I witnessed to those two Marines, it was my intention to influence them as much as possible. BUT THEY MADE THEIR OWN DECISION.

Jack

Fat

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2013, 12:51:40 pm »
Quote from: Jack
I want you to understand when I witnessed to those two Marines, it was my intention to influence them as much as possible. BUT THEY MADE THEIR OWN DECISION.

So you failed to influence them, and if you would not have failed they may be alive today. If only you could have said the right words. That's so sad, how can you sleep at night.

Jack Koons

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2013, 08:09:19 am »
Fat,

You said:

"So you failed to influence them, and if you would not have failed they may be alive today. If only you could have said the right words. That's so sad, how can you sleep at night."

Have you ever read Jeremiah, or Lamentations?

Psalm 126
5 They that sow in tears shall reap in joy.
6 He that goeth forth and weepeth, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaveswith him.

To tell you the truth Fat, that bothered my a long time. The thought of it still bothers me today. When I hear people say things like, "This is cut and dry, those that are not His sheep can not believe, your Marines did not believe. WHY?" I see no compassion. Jesus was moved with compassion.

Matthew 9:36 But when he saw the multitudes, he was moved with compassion on them, because they fainted, and were scattered abroad, as sheep having no shepherd.

Matthew 14:
14 And Jesus went forth, and saw a great multitude, and was moved with compassion toward them, and he healed their sick.

Matthew 15:32 Then Jesus called his disciplesunto him, and said, I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.

Matthew 20:34 So Jesus had compassion on them, and touched their eyes: and immediately their eyes received sight, and they followed him.

Please notice Jesus had compassion on the multitude. They obviously weren't all the "chosen" or "elect"; but He still had compassion on them. So my question is, If they weren't part of the elect; did Jesus have more compassion for their fleshly bodies, than He did for their souls?

Do I need to give you more scripture?

Yes, I'm guilty of having compassion on two Marines. I was doing what God told me to do.

Luke 14: 23 And the lord said unto the servant, Go out into the highways and hedges, and compel them to come in, that my house may be filled.

Fat, when was the last time you had compassion for someone's soul, and tried to compel them to accept Christ as Saviour?

Can you show me a verse that exempts you from having compassion, and compelling them to be saved?

Preaching and teaching the gospel is not simply the passing of information to another; it's a command of God (Who is full of compassion).

Jack

Fat

« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2013, 08:55:07 am »
Jack if they, your jar-heads, had free will then your compassion has nothing to do with the fact that you failed to influence their will (free choice). Your choice of Scripture about compassion do not address your failure.

If a horse breaks a leg you have compassion and shoot it.

I do believe that the Holy Ghost could have brought them to Christ if He chose to do so.

Jack Koons

« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2013, 11:55:48 am »
Fat,

Please explain what "shooting" a horse has to do with: A. Marines dying without Christ; and B. Jesus having compassion on the multitudes.

Jack

Fat

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2013, 12:03:38 pm »
Fat,

Please explain what "shooting" a horse has to do with: A. Marines dying without Christ; and B. Jesus having compassion on the multitudes.

Jack

It has as much to do with the Marines as does compassion with your failure.

Jack Koons

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 03:29:50 pm »
Fat,

I'm going to explain what happened in the Garden of Eden, and how that applies to us today. Furthermore, I will explain (for the purpose of other viewers) why predestination actually makes God a, 'not so nice person'. On the other hand, I will show that when mankind is truly given the choice whether or not to be saved; it is no longer God condemning the souls of individuals, (as in predestination)) but individuals condemn their own souls, by rejecting Jesus Christ.

Let's begin!

Who is God? God is truly greater than words can tell, greater than the human mind can comprehend. His strength is without measure, His knowledge more than can be put into print. His wisdom greater than all the created beings combined. He lives in the eternal state, which alone is beyond comprehension. He created time, and one day will bring it to its close.

I cannot emphasize two things enough: 1) God not only knows everything (general knowledge such as science, but knows our thoughts, what we have done, what we are doing, but He also knows every choice we will make about everything; great or small. 2) God uses this knowledge (of our future decisions) to provide us with an opportunity to make the right decision in the event that we make a wrong decision.

For example, God told Jonah to go to Nineveh; Jonah chose not to obey, and went in a different direction. However, since God already knew what choice Jonah was going to make, He prepared a fish (whale) to provide Jonah with an environment that would give Jonah an opportunity to rethink his choice. Jonah now had to make a choice: 1) Repent (change his mind about going to Nineveh); or 2) Refuse to repent, and be a yummy meal for the fish. God had a purpose for Jonah; preach to Nineveh. He also used this story for a second purpose; to show all who read this story for generations to come, God will provide us with "opportunities" to fulfill His purpose, and it is always easier (on us) if we obey God sooner, rather than later. Please understand, God knowing what Jonah was going to do both times, is not to be confused with God forcing, or predestinating Jonah to make those decisions. The one (foreknowledge) is God influencing Jonah to make the right decision through a provided circumstance; while the other (predestination) is forcing BOTH of Jonah's decisions, because Jonah had no choice but to act in the fore ordained way that God directed, good or bad.

Let's look at the beginning.

God created the universe in six days, and rested on the seventh day. On Earth, He planted a Garden named Eden, the place where Adam and Eve would live.

Gen. 2:9 And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

According to the above text there were two trees in the midst of the Garden; the tree of life, and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.

Gen. 2
16 And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

Gen. 3
1. Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden?
2. And the woman said unto the serpent, We may eat of the fruit of the trees of the garden:
3. But of the fruit of the tree whichis in the midst of the garden, God hath said, Ye shall not eat of it, neither shall ye touch it, lest ye die.
4. And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5. For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.

Here is where we are:

Adam and Eve are in the Garden of Eden. They DO NOT have a sin nature. They have been presented two conflicting 'stories' of what will happen if they eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil: 1) God says, You eat it, you die. 2) Satan says, You eat it, you will not die; and, your eyes will be opened!

One of them is telling the truth, and one of them is lying. It's just that simple. Adam must choose. Eve must choose.

Do I obey God, or do I not obey God; that was not only the question that Adam and Eve faced, it is the one we must face. God has given us His Word, the Bible. Within its pages we find the history of Earth, along with the Commandments of God. We also find the consequences of both obedience, and disobedience of His Commandments.

Like Adam, we are presented with God's side of the story, (found in His Word, the Bible); and Satan's side of the story, found in the "sin nature" (the knowledge of good and evil) we inherited from Adam's "wrong" decision. Adam was created innocent, as we are (although we are born with the "nature" to sin. Adam was innocent until he chose to disobey God. We as children grow up learning through our conscience "good and evil". (We know [even as a child] that it's wrong to steal cookies from the cookie jar, and then lie about it.)  As Adam condemned himself when he chose not to obey the Commandant of God, we likewise condemn ourselves when we choose not to obey the Commandments of God written on our hearts (the knowledge of good and evil) that speak to us through our conscience.

Even Wayne Grudem, (a Calvinist) who is a Theologian and Professor of Biblical Studies at Phoenix Seminary states in his "Systematic Theology" under the heading of "The Covenant of Works" (which in its entirety, is too long to post) , "God sovereignly imposes this covenant on Adam and Eve, and they have no opportunity to change the details—their only choice is to keep it or to break it."

The problem of course with Calvinism however is their definition of "choice". You see, at another place, under the heading of "objections to the doctrine of election", paragraph 1. Titled: Election means that we do not have a choice in whether we accept Christ or not.

"According to this objection the doctrine of election denies all the gospel invitations that appeal to the will of man and asked people to make a choice in whether to respond to Christ invitation or not. In response to this, we must affirm that the doctrine of election is fully able to accommodate the idea that we have a voluntary choice and we make willingly decisions and accepting or rejecting Christ. Our choices are voluntary because they are what we want to do and what we decide to do. This does not mean that our choices are absolutely free because, God can work sovereignly through our desires so that he guarantees it our choice come about as he has ordained, but this can still be understood as a real choice because God has created us and he ordains that such a choice is real. In short, we can say that God causes us to choose Christ voluntarily."

I'm sorry Fat, either the choice is "absolutely free", or it's absolutely "not free", you can't have your cake, and eat it too"!

John 6: 44 No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up the last day.

John 12:
30 Jesus answered and said, This voice came not because of me, but for your sakes.
31 Now is the judgement of this world: now shall the prince of this world be cast out.
32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.
33 This he said, signifying what death he should die.

John 3
14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of man be lifted up:
15 That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Numbers 21
8 And the LORD said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole: and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
9 And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.

Notice that Jesus compared the "lifting up" of the brazen serpent with Himself being "lifted up". Just as "any man" lived physically when he beheld the serpent; "whosoever" believeth on Jesus as Saviour when He was "lifted up", "should not perish, but have eternal life".

It doesn't sound like Jesus was talking about the "elect", it sounded like He said, "whosoever"!

Adam had a choice in the Garden of Eden;
The people had a choice in the wilderness; and,
We have a choice today!

2 Peter 3: 9 The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

Choose Jesus today!

Jack

Jack Koons

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2013, 04:46:50 am »
If you read the "Predestination" thread, you will find out why there is a better way.

Jack

Jack Koons

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2013, 08:57:59 am »
I would like to state "for the record, "I AM NOT AN ARMINIAN". I may believe man has a choice in salvation, however, I also believe (as previously stated), I also believe once a person accepts Christ as Saviour, your eternal salvation is secure in Christ. What just took place in the "Predestination thread, (the request to have the thread locked) was a move of desperation on the part of Fat, because he knew he could not continue to answer questions that actually dealt with the difference between the "external" and "internal" call. I clearly stated in the tread my problem is predestination, not security of the believer. Fats "asking" for the thread to be "locked" was a clear indication of his insecurity to be able to answer more difficult questions.

Jack