Author Topic: Who has the keys of the kingdom of heaven?  (Read 1479 times)

Hal

Who has the keys of the kingdom of heaven?
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:40:23 am »
Matthew 16:19 KJV
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

There are those that claim Peter was the only person to have the keys to the kingdom given to him and he passed them to one person to carry on his ministry. Of course I am referring to the Catholic church.

First what are the keys to the kingdom and how are they to be used?

Fat

Re: Who has the keys of the kingdom of heaven?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 07:35:11 pm »
The keys are the words given to Peter by Christ. If only  Peter had the keys how could the great commission be accomplished?
The words were given to all.

calluna

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 06:34:38 am »
what are the keys to the kingdom and how are they to be used?

'"I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be [what is] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be [what is] loosed in heaven."' Mt 16:19

The phrase 'the keys to the kingdom of heaven' refers to divine rule in the life of every saint. The 'binding' and 'loosing' referred to was common description of the practice of rabbis in Judea, each of whom taught his own interpretation of Scripture, one of them 'binding' a moral action that another would 'loose'. Jesus was here saying that his disciples would no longer rely on the confused and unreliable teaching of mere men, but would, by the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, possess the teaching of heaven itself. He was referring to his own divine and cosmic role, not to the importance of a mere human.

The confession made by Simon Bar-Jonah, that Jesus was the Messiah, the Christ, was and is the pre-requisite for this indwelling. Conversion is impossible without it.

But the words must be fully understood. Simon got the form of words right, and little besides. He quickly denied that Jesus was the Messiah when he attempted to dissuade Jesus from going to Jerusalem and its danger, which showed that he did not yet really understand who Jesus was; and that this incomprehension was his own fault. For that, he was described as 'Satan'.

biblebuf

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 12:41:26 am »
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

The keys to heaven are Gospels, the binding is that of the law that keeps us in slavery.

Galatians 5:1
Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Preach the Gospel and set them free.

John 8:32
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free .

Theodore A. Jones

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 08:19:16 am »
The keys to heaven are Gospels, the binding is that of the law that keeps us in slavery.

Galatians 5:1
Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage.

Preach the Gospel and set them free.

John 8:32
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free .

Jn. 8:32 is predicated by "If you continue in my word". You need to find out which word he is referencing.

biblebuf

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 09:45:52 am »
Jn. 8:32 is predicated by "If you continue in my word". You need to find out which word he is referencing.

Helo Ted
If you believe that the 'word' referred in vs. 31 is other than the Gospel please enlighten us.

BB

clark thompson

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 05:23:31 pm »
I believe He was refering to those who believe He is the Son of God which is the rock on which He built His church.

Hal

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 04:53:12 pm »
I believe He was refering to those who believe He is the Son of God which is the rock on which He built His church.

I think you're right Clark.

Theodore A. Jones

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 10:56:40 am »

There are those that claim Peter was the only person to have the keys to the kingdom given to him and he passed them to one person to carry on his ministry. Of course I am referring to the Catholic church.

First what are the keys to the kingdom and how are they to be used?

KEY ONE
The crucifixion of Jesus is the sin of first degree murder and it is this sin that has been increased by a change of the law.

Hal

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 01:12:10 pm »
KEY ONE
The crucifixion of Jesus is the sin of first degree murder and it is this sin that has been increased by a change of the law.

:'( :'(
Sad.