Author Topic: James 5:19-22  (Read 1248 times)

clark thompson

James 5:19-22
« on: July 14, 2013, 11:00:17 am »

James 5:19-20

King James Version (KJV)

19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;

20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

New King James Version (NKJV)

Bring Back the Erring One

19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

The Holy Bible, New King James Version Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

These are my thoughts please share yours.

19 We should be so close to some Christians that when they see us fallen they help us back up. You should not try this with strangers but close friends may think you for the concern and help.

20 If this person does not listen they may be one of the world which we should share the gospel with both those we know and those we do not know but acountiblity is only for those you are close to. Most people are not going to come to the Lord on their own or hear the gospel without someone sharing it and this person who shares it when they accept will be held in a special place to them even if that person does not know.

21 Therefore cofess your sins.
We should not brag about all the evil we do but just bring it before the Lord for forgiveness.

22 from death and will cover a multitude of sins. 
Saving faith saves us from our sins which would condeme us without the blood of Christ.

Better to be a servant of the King than to be a king in hell.

Moss

Re: James 5:19-22
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 07:22:32 pm »

King James Version (KJV)

19 Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him;

20 Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins.

Bring Back the Erring One

19 Brethren, if anyone among you wanders from the truth, and someone turns him back, 20 let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save a soul from death and cover a multitude of sins.

The Holy Bible, New King James Version Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

These are my thoughts please share yours.

19 We should be so close to some Christians that when they see us fallen they help us back up. You should not try this with strangers but close friends may think you for the concern and help.

20 If this person does not listen they may be one of the world which we should share the gospel with both those we know and those we do not know but acountiblity is only for those you are close to. Most people are not going to come to the Lord on their own or hear the gospel without someone sharing it and this person who shares it when they accept will be held in a special place to them even if that person does not know.

We should not brag about all the evil we do but just bring it before the Lord for forgiveness.

22 from death and will cover a multitude of sins. 
Saving faith saves us from our sins which would condeme us without the blood of Christ.

Better to be a servant of the King than to be a king in hell.

First of all I think he is talking to the church members of the body. I think what we have here is an explanation for the need for fellowship. Satan is always trying to get his nose into the door of the church we must constantly pray and be alert for his attacks. We must remind those who are going astray of our obligation to help other lost souls find salvation.

I believe that Christ illustrates what is going on in Luke 22.
31 And the Lord said , Simon, Simon, behold , Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: 32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted , strengthen thy brethren.

calluna

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 03:16:05 am »

'Confess, then, one to another, your sins, and pray for each other.' Jas 5:16

The emphasis here is on the need for those who have offended to confess to the offended party.

Hal

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 10:04:17 am »
Okay I give up, how come I don't have verse 21 and verse 22 in my Bible?

clark thompson

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 05:39:01 pm »
Okay I give up, how come I don't have verse 21 and verse 22 in my Bible?
The numbering of verses was different in the translation I used but it syas the same 5:19-22 is the same as 5:19-20

clark thompson

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 05:41:12 pm »

The emphasis here is on the need for those who have offended to confess to the offended party.
I also think it is about confessing our sins to God to get past them and grow in faith.

calluna

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 05:20:35 am »
I also think it is about confessing our sins to God to get past them and grow in faith.

What did James write that makes you think this?

macuser

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 11:37:21 pm »
Hey Clark you made it all the way through James, you taking on another Book?

Mac

PS god job, thanks.

Francis Drake

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 11:35:58 am »

Neither James 5v16 nor its context says anything about confessing your sins to the offending party.
I believe this verse is more about each individual dealing honestly with his shortcomings before his brothers, that they may pray and encourage him in his walk.

This has been the practice in every house group that I have been a part of over the last almost 40 years. The emphasis in the verse is on one another, not just one way, offender to offended. It is just something that any wise believer will want to do to keep the house of God (his temple) swept clean.