Author Topic: The total depravity of man  (Read 5249 times)

macuser

The total depravity of man
« on: July 28, 2013, 12:44:25 pm »
Does the Bible teaches that man is totally depraved and that there's no good to be found in him?

Genesis 6:5
Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. NAS

The word continually used here leaves not much doubt, let's see what other version say.

The LORD saw how bad the sins of man had become on the earth. All of the thoughts in his heart were always directed only toward what was evil. NIV

And Jehovah seeth that abundant [is] the wickedness of man in the earth, and every imagination of the thoughts of his heart only evil all the day; YLT

I really believe that this is man without the Holy Spirit, what do you think?

biblebuf

Re: The total depravity of man
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 02:57:55 pm »
I think that the scriptures tell us that mans mind is depraved 24/7. Sometimes the unsaved man does what appears to be good but if you examine it closely you will usually find he does it for his own glory or benefit.

(New American Standard)

Job 15:16 How much less one who is detestable and corrupt, Man, who drinks iniquity like water !

Psalm 14:3 They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt ; There is no one who does good, not even one.

Psalm 53:3 Every one of them has turned aside ; together they have become corrupt ; There is no one who does good, not even one.

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, therefore the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Romans 3:10 as it is written, "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE ;

Fat

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2013, 11:56:04 pm »
John 8:44 You are of your father the Devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and has not stood in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks from his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of liars.

Zant Law

• ZLaw
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 01:08:06 pm »
A couple of things I would like to look at here, the first is our nature and lack of spiritual good before God. In Romans 7:18 Paul says, " I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh". In Titus 1:15 Paul states, " to the corrupt and unbelieving nothing is pure; they're very minds and consciences are corrupt".

I think it's pretty clear that Paul is telling us that we is a natural man lack any spiritual good. He goes on in Romans 8:8 to say, " those who are in the flesh cannot please God".
The author of Hebrews has this to say in Hebrews 11:6, "without faith it is impossible to please him". So it is also obvious that only the believers who have faith can please God.

clark thompson

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 05:20:02 pm »
Man needs Jesus to have salvation, he is not good enough to get salvation on His on.

Fat

Mans love of sin
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2013, 01:48:23 pm »
New American Standard

Job 20:12-13  "Though evil is sweet in his mouth And he hides it under his tongue, Though he desires it and will not let it go, But holds it in his mouth,

Ps 36:4  He plans wickedness upon his bed ; He sets himself on a path that is not good ; He does not despise evil.

Prov 4:16-17 For they cannot sleep unless they do evil ; And they are robbed of sleep unless they make someone stumble. For they eat the bread of wickedness And drink the wine of violence.

John 3:19-20 "This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. "For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed.

John 12:43 for they loved the approval of men rather than the approval of God.

Hosea 4:8 They feed on the sin of My people And direct their desire toward their iniquity.

Theodore A. Jones

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2013, 08:54:08 am »
Man needs Jesus to have salvation, he is not good enough to get salvation on His on.

What about Acts 2:40b, "Save yourselves from this untoward generation."? It is my opinion that the doctrine of "total" depravity shifts responsibility. Negating the individual's responsibility not to have the faith to use the narrow gate in spite of the fact of the Lord saying "Make every effort to enter through the gate." The issue is not weather man is good enough or bad enough. Salvation from serving the penalty of eternal death is predicated upon first hearing their message and then obeying what has been established as a unilateral requirement in regard to the sin of Jesus' having been crucified.

JB Horn

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2013, 09:05:43 am »
What about Acts 2:40b, "Save yourselves from this untoward generation."? It is my opinion that the doctrine of "total" depravity shifts responsibility. Negating the individual's responsibility not to have the faith to use the narrow gate in spite of the fact of the Lord saying "Make every effort to enter through the gate." The issue is not weather man is good enough or bad enough. Salvation from serving the penalty of eternal death is predicated upon first hearing their message and then obeying what has been established as a unilateral requirement in regard to the sin of Jesus' having been crucified.

Man is responsible for his sin, YES.

Is man capable of a life without sin, NO.

Theodore A. Jones

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2013, 10:32:31 am »
Man is responsible for his sin, YES.

Is man capable of a life without sin, NO.

So then what is the sin that was repented of to obey the Acts 2:38 command as their message's requirement for salvation and is it a sin for the other individuals who refuse to repent of this sin? 

JB Horn

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2013, 10:45:59 am »
So then what is the sin that was repented of to obey the Acts 2:38 command as their message's requirement for salvation and is it a sin for the other individuals who refuse to repent of this sin?

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Romans 7:12-14  So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and just and good.
The Problem of Sin in Us
13 Therefore, did what is good cause my death? Absolutely not! On the contrary, sin, in order to be recognized as sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that through the commandment sin might become sinful beyond measure. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual; but I am made out of flesh, sold into sin's power.

Not THIS SIN but all sin.

1 John 1:7 CSB
But if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Theodore A. Jones

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2013, 10:49:45 am »
1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

Romans 7:12-14  So then, the law is holy, and the commandment is holy and just and good.
The Problem of Sin in Us
13 Therefore, did what is good cause my death? Absolutely not! On the contrary, sin, in order to be recognized as sin, was producing death in me through what is good, so that through the commandment sin might become sinful beyond measure. 14 For we know that the law is spiritual; but I am made out of flesh, sold into sin's power.

Not THIS SIN but all sin.

1 John 1:7 CSB
But if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.

Your reply is an evasion in regard to my previous question.

JB Horn

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2013, 10:56:51 am »
Your reply is an evasion in regard to my previous question.

It really doesn't matter if failure to repent is a sin or not. No repentance - No forgiveness.

You violate one commandment you violate all.

You disagree?

Theodore A. Jones

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2013, 11:18:38 am »
It really doesn't matter if failure to repent is a sin or not. No repentance - No forgiveness.

You violate one commandment you violate all.

You disagree?

Didn't I say in regard to your OP that inculcation of "total depravity" will allow a shift from individual responsibility?
Correct obedience of the Acts 2:38 command is only relative to a sin, i.e. one particular sin. Which sin? 

JB Horn

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2013, 11:33:40 am »
Didn't I say in regard to your OP that inculcation of "total depravity" will allow a shift from individual responsibility?
Correct obedience of the Acts 2:38 command is only relative to a sin, i.e. one particular sin. Which sin?

"Repent," Peter said to them, "and be baptized, each of you, in the name of Jesus the Messiah for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. HCS

Then Peter said unto them, Repent , and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. KJV

Sorry but it's plural. 
1 Cor. 4:6

Theodore A. Jones

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2013, 12:40:08 pm »
"Repent," Peter said to them, "and be baptized, each of you, in the name of Jesus the Messiah for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. HCS

Then Peter said unto them, Repent , and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. KJV

Sorry but it's plural. 
1 Cor. 4:6

Incorrect! What is the corporate sin they had committed about forty five to fifty days previously and was brought to their minds in Acts 2:36 that cut, circumcised their hearts, individually?  The totally depraved always give the wrong answer and go beyond what is written to shift his responsibility from obeying God in regard to sin of Jesus' crucifixion.