Author Topic: Father's Day  (Read 2220 times)

JB Horn

Father's Day
« on: June 17, 2010, 09:17:10 pm »
Quote from:  Eph 6
1 Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. 2 HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER (which is the first commandment with a promise ), 3 SO THAT IT MAY BE WELL WITH YOU, AND THAT YOU MAY LIVE LONG ON THE EARTH. 4 Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord.

Father's Day is coming up and I like to refer you to the Ephesians 6," honor your father and mother, which is the first commandment company by a promise namely, that it may go well with you and that you will live a long time on the earth." But the next verse goes a little farther to give some responsibility to the father. Verse four says" father, do not provoke your children to anger, but raise them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord."

The truth of the matter is that if the father raises his children in the discipline and instruction of the Lord they will obey the Lord and honor the parents who raised them. What does it mean when it says do not provoke your children? Well the first answers that question itself after the word but it tells a father to discipline and instruct. Basically fathers or to teach the children of the Lord and one of the best ways to do this is by leading as an example.

And for the children what does it mean when it says 'honor'? I believe this is a little more than cleaning your room with your mother tells you to. I believe it goes far beyond the point of being a child and it goes on into your adulthood and your parents golden years. As long as your parents live you should honor them by making their lives as comfortable as possible and showing them the respect and appreciation that they deserve.

JB