Author Topic: New World Testament (more that one Savior) ?  (Read 2705 times)

JB Horn

New World Testament (more that one Savior) ?
« on: July 10, 2011, 03:01:19 pm »
I have been studying different translations of the Bible in an attempt to educate myself on the thinking of other denominations.  I recently reviewed the New World Testament, this is the Jehovah's witnesses translation.

I think most of us are aware of the controversy concerning John 1 in this translation.  I really don't see that going over this would serve much purpose and I believe that we all have heard each other's arguments concerning the interpretation of (a) god versus the interpretation of God.  There is one thing I like to point out though, in John 1, it is that is consistent with other translations showing that Christ existed before the creation of the earth, therefore he must have existed during the time our Father gave the Old Testament to us through the prophets.

What I like to discuss is two versus that seem to counter each other.  I'll post both of versus in the translation given by the New World Testament.  I like to point out that most other versions of the Bible or other translations of the Bible translate these two verses basically the same as does the NWT except that the NWT ends with a (?) at the end of Isa 45:21 and I could find no other translation that does this.  However the two verses taken out of the NWT do seem to contradict John 1 of the NWT.

NWT 2 Pet 3:17 YOU, therefore, beloved ones, having this advance knowledge, be on YOUR guard that YOU may not be led away with them by the error of the law-defying people and fall from YOUR own steadfastness. 18 No, but go on growing in the undeserved kindness and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him [be] the glory both now and to the day of eternity.

NWT Isa 45:21 Make YOUR report and YOUR presentation. Yes, let them consult together in unity. Who has caused this to be heard from a long time ago? [Who] has reported it from that very time? Is it not I, Jehovah, besides whom there is no other God; a righteous God and a Savior, there being none excepting me?

What we see here in Isaiah 45:21 and second Peter 3:18, is a contradiction when speaking of the Savior.  Note that both versus the words Savior. The Old Testament states that there is no other God and righteous God and Savior there is none existing but me.  However in 2 Peter we see that this translation acknowledges Jesus Christ to be the Savior also capitalized.

So my question is if Jesus is a god (John1:1) and Savior (2 Pet 3:18)  how can the statement that, "there is no other God; a righteous God and a Savior, there being none excepting me?" be true?

JB

philer

Re: New World Testament (more that one Savior) ?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 05:57:17 pm »
very good jb horn ,we see in isaiah ,GOD stressing he is the only GOD ,savior etc.. in the singular I,me and so forth. And this would appear contradictive to those who see ,GOD,CHRIST, and HOLY SPIRIT as seperate individuals . we see in john 14:9 Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you such a long time, and do you not know me, Philip? He who has seen me has seen the Father. How do you say, 'Show us the Father?" CHRIST,here is saying to philip more or less you see but your not seeing,i'm here but you don't recognize me. otherwise if CHRIST were not GOD,then he surely must have identity issues.
 JESUS tries to add clarity to understand and oddly something we already were told in john 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." the human mind is puzzled at this,how can GOD be with himself the WORD was GOD and with GOD? and the answer comes john 16:28  I came out from the Father, and have come into the world. Again, I leave the world, and go to the Father." The WORD was spoken came out from the FATHER. of course words come out from you when you speak them. they are your words , and are you from you. GOD made his word flesh ,and is him ,part of him .
 so is there more than one savior?, from human perception,it would appear this way ,leading to different thoughts and ideas, yet we clearly see in isaiah GOD saying otherwise and GOD cannot lie, so we must believe GOD,the FATHER, is the savior and none else . but this of course is my understanding.

JB Horn

Re: New World Testament (more that one Savior) ?
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 06:39:46 pm »
Well it won't matter much, every time the watchtower finds a discrepancy the revise their Bible. It must be expensive to have to keep buying new Bibles.

JB