Author Topic: 1 john 5:7 KJV flaw.  (Read 855 times)

Fat

1 john 5:7 KJV flaw.
« on: January 16, 2014, 02:01:20 pm »
I like to point out that when you are debating theology or doctrine or whatever using the Bible be very cautious when you're using The King James Version. I'll point out just one verse 1 John 5:7

1 john 5:7  For there are three that testify : (NAS)

1 john 5:7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one. (KJV)

This verse never existed in the original transcript as it is now written in the KJV. A notation was added from the side of a transcript, and because everybody believes it to be true (including myself), it was added to the text. But it was never there and when you use this in the debate people will point this out and you will lose points and look foolish.

This is not an uncommon problem with the King James version. You might want to look into who authored the last half of Mark 16. You may be surprised.Most translations will give you an idea that there is a translation problem with that portion of Mark, but the King James version fails to do that.

biblebuf

Re: 1 john 5:7 KJV flaw.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 11:35:52 pm »
Most of people of my generation grew up with the King James version and it served them well. That aside, it is not a totally accurate translation as some of the newer English translations available today. The New American Standard and the Holman Christian Standard are far better for studying and using for apologetics.

The real question is why would anybody base their church around one single translation? It's like they are saying that Christ only spoke old English, or that Christ words can only be translated into one dialect of any language.