Author Topic: Social Justice.  (Read 3398 times)

Zant Law

• ZLaw
Social Justice.
« on: September 03, 2011, 04:14:16 pm »
I like to open a discussion on Social Justice.
First of all I like to know if you believe that  Social Justice can exist to those who do not believe in the existence of a sovereign Creator of the universe in other words God?

I like to consider the fact that without God it is hard to justify the word justice. For instance you may feel, in your own mind, that slavery is appropriate and not unjust. On the other hand you may feel that slavery is evil and unjust. But can there be evil if there is no God that sets the parameters? If there is no God then the line between good and evil must be in the eye of the beholder.

Now the reason of course I bring this up is that the term Social Justice is being thrown around not only by people who profess to be spiritual leaders but by politicians who claim that the state has no right to bring in any religious beliefs into the political discourse. In other words they claim that the separation between God and state is absolute. So to make the argument for  Social Justice they must make this argument without the reference to good and evil. If there is no good and evil who defines what is just and unjust?

So can the idea of  Social Justice be espoused by those who do not believe in God? If the answer to this is yes then whose mind is the line between good and evil drawn so that we can determine what is just and what is unjust? If the line is drawn by the society that one lives in, then we are saying that each country or society has the right to call slavery a just policy and an accepted practice.

Fat

Re: Social Justice.
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 07:03:14 am »
Isn't this like discussing morals with an atheist? There is no base line for definitions to be drawn.

biblebuf

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 02:56:21 pm »
The term insinuates that you are making something right that was unjust. Jesus showed favor to the poor and sick, just or unjust?

I think you are talking about the government's role in redistribution of wealth and resources. Food stamps are a form of Social Justice where I who make $23 HR pays for the food of my neighbor who makes $36 HR but has been spending more than he makes. He needs my money because he loves to party and I don't.

Zant Law

• ZLaw
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 12:37:01 pm »
Fat, BB

OK let's take the government out of the equation and just talk about the Christian Church. I give you Acts 4 and 5 as an example of Social Justice.

Fat

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 02:00:22 pm »
Fat, BB

OK let's take the government out of the equation and just talk about the Christian Church. I give you Acts 4 and 5 as an example of Social Justice.

NO it is not the same. There is no one being forced to give their wealth to someone else. This was a giving of the heart or it would have meant nothing to the glory of our Lord. But Ananias and Sapphira did not give from the heart and attempted to deceive the the Holy Ghost. The question then is were they real believers?

What would you call from this story to be the justice in "Social Justice"?