Author Topic: What does Scriptures say abot Idleness  (Read 576 times)

Hal

What does Scriptures say abot Idleness
« on: October 12, 2014, 10:59:57 pm »
Idleness
The return of Christ is a motivation for diligence, not laziness.

Prov 6:6 Go to the ant, O sluggard, Observe her ways and be wise, 7 Which, having no chief, Officer or ruler, 8 Prepares her food in the summer And gathers her provision in the harvest. 9 How long will you lie down, O sluggard? When will you arise from your sleep? 10 "A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to rest "- 11 Your poverty will come in like a vagabond And your need like an armed man.

Prov 10:4 Poor is he who works with a negligent hand, But the hand of the diligent makes rich. 5 He who gathers in summer is a son who acts wisely, But he who sleeps in harvest is a son who acts shamefully.

Luke 19:20 "Another came, saying, 'Master, here is your mina, which I kept put away in a handkerchief; 21 for I was afraid of you, because you are an exacting man; you take up what you did not lay down and reap what you did not sow.' 22 "He said to him, 'By your own words I will judge you, you worthless slave. Did you know that I am an exacting man, taking up what I did not lay down and reaping what I did not sow? 23 'Then why did you not put my money in the bank, and having come, I would have collected it with interest?' 24 "Then he said to the bystanders, 'Take the mina away from him and give it to the one who has the ten minas.' 25 "And they said to him, 'Master, he has ten minas already.'

Matt 20:2 "When he had agreed with the laborers for a denarius for the day, he sent them into his vineyard. 3 "And he went out about the third hour and saw others standing idle in the market place; 4 and to those he said, 'You also go into the vineyard, and whatever is right I will give you.' And so they went. 5 "Again he went out about the sixth and the ninth hour, and did the same thing. 6 "And about the eleventh hour he went out and found others standing around; and he said to them, 'Why have you been standing here idle all day long?' 7 "They said to him, 'Because no one hired us.' He said to them, 'You go into the vineyard too.' 8 "When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, 'Call the laborers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last group to the first.' 9 "When those hired about the eleventh hour came, each one received a denarius. 10 "When those hired first came, they thought that they would receive more; but each of them also received a denarius. 11 "When they received it, they grumbled at the landowner, 12 saying, 'These last men have worked only one hour, and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden and the scorching heat of the day.' 13 "But he answered and said to one of them, 'Friend, I am doing you no wrong; did you not agree with me for a denarius? 14 'Take what is yours and go, but I wish to give to this last man the same as to you. 15 'Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with what is my own? Or is your eye envious because I am generous?' 16 "So the last shall be first, and the first last."

2 Thess 3:10 For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either.

Paul was writing here about the person who is lazy. Paul explained that when he and his companions were in Thessalonica, they worked hard, buying what they needed rather than becoming a burden to any of the believers. The rule they followed was, “If a man will not work, he shall not eat.” There’s a difference between leisure and laziness. Relaxation and recreation provide a necessary and much-needed balance to our lives; but when it is time to work, Christians should jump right in. We should make the most of our talent and time, doing all we can to provide for ourselves and our dependents. Rest when you should be resting, and work when you should be working.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 11:05:51 pm by Hal »

Fat

Re: What does Scriptures say abot Idleness
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 09:58:59 am »
Faith does not make one lazy, it makes one excited and wanting to work for Christ.

James 2:17  In the same way faith, if it doesn't have works, is dead by itself. (HCS)

JB Horn

Re: What does Scriptures say abot Idleness
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 11:20:21 am »
 Luke 19 points out that God is a demanding God, He expects those who love Him to show they do. He also expects you to be a useful member of society and not a drag on your family and neighbors.

JB