Author Topic: Is breaking the law a biblical way to evangelize?  (Read 1815 times)

biblebuf

Is breaking the law a biblical way to evangelize?
« on: November 19, 2011, 09:30:02 am »
Is breaking the law a biblical way to evangelize?

Quote from: http://www.umc.org
He saw it as an opportunity to be present as a pastor and a peacemaker and went appropriately garbed in his clerical robes, stole and cross. When confrontation threatened, he said he felt called to be a buffer between the police and the protesters marching through Seattle’s downtown.

By the end of the day Nov. 15, The Rev. Rich Lang, senior pastor at Temple University United Methodist Church, was one of the six people hit by police with pepper spray. Others included 84-year-old Dorli Rainey and a 19-year-old pregnant woman.

Rom 13 
1 Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. 2 Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves.

Moss

Re: Is breaking the law a biblical way to evangelize?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 11:54:59 am »
BB
Someday Christians are going to be ordered to take the mark of the beast by the ruling authority. Not taking the mark will be a violation of the law, but taking the mark will condemn you to hell.

biblebuf

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2011, 02:29:54 pm »
But not taking the Mark would be evangelizing for Christ but refusing to disperse at the scene of a disturbance giving out the Gospel?

Fat

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 03:43:32 pm »
One of the things that disturbs me here is that this guy took the time to dress up to make sure that everybody involved knew that he represented Christ. I don't know everything that happened here, but seeing what's available in this post it appears that the Rev. Lang took sides on this dispute.
I don't know what the cause was but it appears that he was not a buffer between the police and demonstrators but had actually chosen sides in this dispute. Of course sure I'm making a judgment with not knowing much of the story. I followed the link on the post and the story was not readily available. Maybe you can help me out here BB.

Okay I have an update here, the good Rev. was involving himself with the occupation Wall Street crowd in Seattle. This is total politics nothing about fighting for Christ. Apparently the Rev. Lang felt that he could depart the gospel to the member's of occupy Seattle during this riot. I may have agreed with Rev. Lang if he confined himself to the staging area of the protesters. The protesters had a small village, with tents and other amenities set up for what appeared to be an extended stay. This could very well have been a good environment for Rev. Lang to preach the gospel, but it appears he went far beyond that and involved himself in the protest.

biblebuf

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2012, 02:17:50 pm »
One of the things that disturbs me here is that this guy took the time to dress up to make sure that everybody involved knew that he represented Christ.

That is exactly right, and it appears the activity he was involved in would not be the kind of activity you would have seen Christ involved in. From reading the article I feel that the Rev. made a bad judgment and should've thought it through more carefully.

clark thompson

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 03:50:32 pm »
God's authority his word always is first for belivers and we are to follow the law as long as it does not break God's word