Author Topic: Luke 2:41-48  (Read 737 times)

clark thompson

Luke 2:41-48
« on: January 01, 2015, 10:21:17 am »
Luke 2:41-48 King James Version (KJV)
41 Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover.
42 And when he was twelve years old, they went up to Jerusalem after the custom of the feast.
43 And when they had fulfilled the days, as they returned, the child Jesus tarried behind in Jerusalem; and Joseph and his mother knew not of it.
44 But they, supposing him to have been in the company, went a day's journey; and they sought him among their kinsfolk and acquaintance.
45 And when they found him not, they turned back again to Jerusalem, seeking him.
46 And it came to pass, that after three days they found him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the doctors, both hearing them, and asking them questions.
47 And all that heard him were astonished at his understanding and answers.
48 And when they saw him, they were amazed: and his mother said unto him, Son, why hast thou thus dealt with us? behold, thy father and I have sought thee sorrowing.

Luke 1:41-48
CLV 41 And it occurred, as Elizabeth hears the salutation of Mary, the babe jumps in her womb, and Elizabeth is filled with holy spirit, 42 and she shouts out with a loud voice and said, "Blessed are you among women and blessed is the fruit of your womb!" 43 And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord may be coming to me? 44 For Lo! as the sound of your salutation came into my ears, the babe jumps with exultation in my womb." 45 And happy is she who believes, seeing that there shall be a maturing of that which has been spoken to her by the Lord!" 46 And Miriam said, "My soul is magnifying the Lord, 47 And my spirit exults in God my Saviour, 48 For He looks on the humiliation of His slave. For lo! from now on all generations will count me happy,

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

41 It was something all Jews did they went to Jerusalem for Passover it was one of the times that all the Jews would be there, most people would have been there for about a week.

42 So Jesus is now twelve which meant he is used to have gone on this trip by now, it was something that they did.

43-44 There would have been crowds going back to their home all those who lived in the Galilee would have been in this group, so they may have thought He was in the group. The time they realize He is gone is perhaps when they ate or were going to sleep. A day’s journey not too far but it was more of the time of Him being missing that they were concerned with.

45 They went back to Jerusalem, perhaps they retraced there steps, they had Lost God’s Son, they may start to panic by then.

46 They found Him three days later in the temple. Jesus was gaining knowledge of people views of the bible. His greatest knowledge came from God.

47 Jesus was God’s Word in the flesh, He knew things that many could not ever know, and He knew things to questions they may have never thought to ask.

48 They have searched for Him but are viewing Him just another child, Mary refer to Joseph as His father shows that she saw Him just as another kid, perhaps she had forgotten would He is, when need to remember who He is in times of stress, He will bring comfort if we see Him for who He is.

JB Horn

Re: Luke 2:41-48
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 11:56:30 pm »
Quote from: NAS
46 Then, after three days they found Him in the temple, sitting in the midst of the teachers, both listening to them and asking them questions. 47 And all who heard Him were amazed at His understanding and His answers.

At the age of 12 Jesus would have learn the trade of Joseph and it would be apparent to the Rabbi's that they were talking with a carpenter apprentice, they must indeed have been amazed but surely if they knew they were discussing scripture with it's Author they would really have been amazed  :)

Fat

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 09:58:42 am »
At the age of 12 Jesus would have learn the trade of Joseph and it would be apparent to the Rabbi's that they were talking with a carpenter apprentice, they must indeed have been amazed but surely if they knew they were discussing scripture with it's Author they would really have been amazed  :)

That's funny, they were being corrected by God on their interpretation of the Scriptures and they didn't know it. Christ continue to do the same thing during His three years of ministry when he spoke with the Pharisees.

macuser

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 11:42:26 pm »
 ;D He was very good at Bible trivia, I imagine.