Author Topic: Luke 3:1-3  (Read 1909 times)

clark thompson

Luke 3:1-3
« on: January 23, 2015, 08:00:56 pm »
Luke 3:1-3 King James Version (KJV)

3 Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judaea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip tetrarch of Ituraea and of the region of Trachonitis, and Lysanias the tetrarch of Abilene,

2 Annas and Caiaphas being the high priests, the word of God came unto John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness.

3 And he came into all the country about Jordan, preaching the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins;

Luke 3:1-3
ACV 1 Now in the fifteenth year of the reign of Tiberius Caesar, Pontius Pilate being governor of Judea, and Herod being tetrarch of Galilee, and his brother Philip being tetrarch of the region belonging to Ituraea, and of the region of 2 in the high priesthood of Annas and Caiaphas, the word of God became in John the son of Zacharias in the wilderness. 3 And he came into all the region around the Jordan, preaching an immersion of repentance for remission of sins,

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1 Today most of us have a calendar to tell what day it is but at that time they based it by who on the throne and not actually day.

2 The priesthood was important but Christ is the High Priest. God’s word a revelation was given; this shows his importance of the message because at this time /god did not send His word because many were against it.

3 This verse is not saying baptism saves but saying those who are saved will be baptized. Baptism is important but we are saved by faith in Him. Preaching is a calling but all are to share Christ by living a life for Him. The Jordan was the big river in the area so it where John may have baptized those of faith. Being forgiven is why we can have eternal fellowship with the Lord; our salvation is found in Christ not baptism.

unknownservant

Re: Luke 3:1-3
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 08:15:48 pm »
Hi Clark,

I've wondered about this often. I still am not certain that Baptism is a requirement. Anything you can teach me on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
unknownservant

unknownservant

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2015, 08:18:47 pm »
Also, I forgot to ask:

I don't recall seeing in scripture where any of the Apostles were Baptized. Can you comment on that for me?

Thanks,
unknownservant

Bob

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2015, 10:14:49 pm »
Also, I forgot to ask:

I don't recall seeing in scripture where any of the Apostles were Baptized. Can you comment on that for me?

Thanks,
unknownservant

You ever hear of Pentecost? Acts 2

Zant Law

• ZLaw
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2015, 11:12:24 pm »
Hi Clark,

I've wondered about this often. I still am not certain that Baptism is a requirement. Anything you can teach me on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
unknownservant

unknownservant-

Clark is not making that claim, in fact he says the opposite. Unless you see somthing I don't.  :o

Clark -

This was a fulfillment of Old Testament prophecy. John the Baptist had become well known through his ministry announcing the coming of the Messiah.  Christ said of him: "Truly I say to you, among those born of women there has not arisen anyone greater than John the Baptist ! Yet the one who is least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he.

ZLaw

unknownservant

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2015, 12:17:55 am »
Hi Bob,

How are you? Are you ready for a weekend of rest and hopefully chat on here? :)

Yes, I've heard of Pentecost and I know at least three thousand souls were added that day and I know that the Apostles were Baptized with THE HOLY SPIRIT that day, but what I don't recall is whether any of the Apostles were ever Baptized with water the same as John's Baptism. If you know the answer, I would appreciate your help and if they weren't Baptized with water, I would appreciate if you would explain to me why. I've wondered about this for quite a while but I have never found the answer.

Thanks,
unknownservant

Bob

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2015, 08:08:59 am »
Hi Bob,

How are you? Are you ready for a weekend of rest and hopefully chat on here? :)

Yes, I've heard of Pentecost and I know at least three thousand souls were added that day and I know that the Apostles were Baptized with THE HOLY SPIRIT that day, but what I don't recall is whether any of the Apostles were ever Baptized with water the same as John's Baptism. If you know the answer, I would appreciate your help and if they weren't Baptized with water, I would appreciate if you would explain to me why. I've wondered about this for quite a while but I have never found the answer.

Thanks,
unknownservant

The Scripture is clear that Christ never baptized with water.

Do you understand the deference between John's water baptism and that water baptism done by the Apostles? If not why don't you start a thread and study it. If you do understand then why did you ask the above question?

IHS
Bob spelled backwards is boB

clark thompson

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 04:36:26 pm »
We see in the gospel of John that two of Jesus' disciples were followers of John so these men would been most likely baptized by him, John could not baptize with the Holy Spirit only God can what man can do can not lead to salvation it is what God does gives us the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

Fat

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2015, 10:59:56 am »
Act 19 tells us of 12 men who received all three baptisms.