Author Topic: Logos, the mindset of God. An easier way to look at John 14:9  (Read 704 times)

biblebuf

Logos, the mindset of God.
An easier way to look at John 14:9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

First look at John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

John uses the word WORD three times in this first verse. Is important understand that this is not a piece of paper or a book. When we refer to the Bible as the word of God, we are saying that the book, The Bible, represents God's mindset of His righteousness and His instructions for us to live within His wishes. I've attached strong’s numbers (3056), to show how the word logos can be translated into English.

So let’s try this:

In the beginning was the Logos (the mindset of God), and the Logos (the mindset of God) was with God, and the Logos (the mindset of God) was God.

Now let’s go down to verses 14: And the Logos (the mindset of God) became flesh, and dwelt among us, and we saw His glory, glory as of the only begotten from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Now can we understand what Christ meant in John 14:9.

John 14:9 Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'?

Quote from: Strong's Number
The KJV New Testament Greek Lexicon

Strong's Number:   3056
 Browse Lexicon
Original Word
Word Origin
lovgoß
from (3004)
Transliterated Word
TDNT Entry
Logos
4:69,505
Phonetic Spelling
Parts of Speech
log'-os   
Noun Masculine
 Definition
   1   of speech
   a   a word, uttered by a living voice, embodies a conception or idea
   b   what someone has said
   1   a word
   2   the sayings of God
   3   decree, mandate or order
   4   of the moral precepts given by God
   5   Old Testament prophecy given by the prophets
   6   what is declared, a thought, declaration, aphorism, a weighty saying, a dictum, a maxim
   c   discourse
   1   the act of speaking, speech
   2   the faculty of speech, skill and practice in speaking
   3   a kind or style of speaking
   4   a continuous speaking discourse - instruction
   d   doctrine, teaching
   e   anything reported in speech; a narration, narrative
   f   matter under discussion, thing spoken of, affair, a matter in dispute, case, suit at law
   g   the thing spoken of or talked about; event, deed
   2   its use as respect to the MIND alone
   a   reason, the mental faculty of thinking, meditating, reasoning, calculating
   b   account, i.e. regard, consideration
   c   account, i.e. reckoning, score
   d   account, i.e. answer or explanation in reference to judgment
   e   relation, i.e. with whom as judge we stand in relation
   1   reason would
   f   reason, cause, ground
   3   In John, denotes the essential Word of God, Jesus Christ, the personal wisdom and power in union with God, his minister in creation and government of the uerse, the cause of all the world's life both physical and ethical, which for the procurement of man's salvation put on human nature in the person of Jesus the Messiah, the second person in the Godhead, and shone forth conspicuously from His words and deeds.
A Greek philosopher named Heraclitus first used the term Logos around 600 B.C. to designate the divine reason or plan which coordinates achanging uerse. This word was well suited to John's purpose in John 1.

Granpa

Re: Logos, the mindset of God. An easier way to look at John 14:9
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2016, 08:09:03 am »
Logos = word
When you are wording you are doing what animals are incapable of doing. You are reasoning.
The phrase "of God" means infinite. Total. Complete.
The worder of God is therefore one with infinite reason and objectivity.