Author Topic: Searching for a Church.  (Read 4436 times)

Dandi

Re: Searching for a Church.
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 04:09:02 pm »
For those who accept the Bible as the true word of God, there is good reason to believe that there are true worshippers and that these "true" worshippers can be identified.  At John 4:23 Jesus said, "...true worshippers will worship the Father with spirit and truth, for indeed the Father is looking for ones like these to worship him."  Jesus explained how to identify true worshippers.  At Matthew 7:16,17 he said, "By their fruits you will recognize them...  Every good tree produces fine fruit, but every rotten tree produces worthless fruit."  True worshippers would exhibit certain "fruits" or traits that would distinguish them from false worshippers.

What are fruits or characteristics of true worshippers?  God's word must be the guide for what standards must be met to qualify as true in God's eyes.  Of course, true worshippers would urge followers to do God's will according to God's word, the Bible.  They would collectively give evidence of divine backing.

1)  They base teachings on the Bible

They only teach what is revealed in God's Word and reject teachings based on human wisdom or tradition.  (Isaiah 29:13; Matthew 15:3-9; Colossians 2: eight)

2)  They use God's personal name and make it known publicly

(Isaiah 12:4,5; Matthew 6:9; Acts 15:14)

3)  They base their conduct/decisions on Bible principles

(Proverbs 3:5,6; Psalm 119:33; 1 Corinthians 1:19-21)

4)  They are organized in the manner of the 1st Century Christian Congregation

(Matthew 23:8-11; 1 Peter 5:2,3; 2 Corinthians 1:24)

5)  They are submissive to human governments but remain neutral

(Romans 13:1,2; Mark 12:17; Acts 5:29; John 17:16; John 18:36)

6)  They impartially work what is good toward all, accepting all people regardless of skin color, economic or educational status, nationality, or language.

(John 13:35; Acts 10:34,35)

7)  They are willing to suffer persecution for doing God's will

They do not minimize God's word or compromise godly principles to avoid persecution. (John 15:20; Matthew 5:11,12; 2 Timothy 3:12)

Eight) They preach and teach as Jesus foretold his true followers would be doing in the time of the end

Matthew 24:14; Matthew 28:19,20

The residents of Beroea set a great example for those today who are looking to join true worshippers.  In the 1st century, the Apostle Paul preached to them but they did not immediately accept what he said as truth, but they listened respectfully.  As Acts 17:10 - 12 mentions, they carefully examined daily whether or not what he said was truth according to the scriptures.  They did not make a superficial search, nor were they gullible or cynical.

Fat

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 05:45:06 pm »
2)  They use God's personal name and make it known publicly

Which one?

Elohim
El Shaddai
El Elyon
El Olam
Yahweh
Adonai
Theos
Despotes
Father

Oh yeah, or Jehovah.

Quote from: Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY
Identifying Marks of Those Having God’s Backing

7 They base their teachings on the Bible. Jesus said: “What I teach is not mine, but belongs to him that sent me. If anyone desires to do His will, he will know concerning the teaching whether it is from God or I speak of my own originality.” And also: “He that is from God listens to the sayings of God.” (John 7:16, 17; 8:47) Logically, to enjoy God’s backing, one must teach only what God reveals in his Word and reject teachings based on human wisdom or tradition.—Isaiah 29:13; Matthew 15:3-9; Colossians 2:8.
8 They use and publicize God’s name, Jehovah. Isaiah foretold: “In that day you will certainly say: ‘Give thanks to Jehovah, you people! Call upon his name. Make known among the peoples his dealings. Make mention that his name is put on high. Make melody to Jehovah, for he has done surpassingly. This is made known in all the earth.’” (Isaiah 12:4, 5) Jesus taught his followers to pray: “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.” (Matthew 6:9) Therefore, whether Jew or non-Jew, Christians were to serve as “a people for [God’s] name.” (Acts 15:14) God is obviously pleased to back those who are proud to be “a people for his name.”
9 They reflect God’s joyful personality. As author of “good news,” Jehovah is “the happy God.” (1 Timothy 1:11) So how could his worshipers be unhappy or persistently pessimistic? Despite world distress and personal problems, true Christians maintain a joyful spirit because they regularly feast on rich spiritual food. Isaiah contrasts them with those practicing false religion: “This is what the Sovereign Lord Jehovah has said: ‘Look! My own servants will eat, but you yourselves will go hungry. Look! My own servants will drink, but you yourselves will go thirsty. Look! My own servants will rejoice, but you yourselves will suffer shame. Look! My own servants will cry out joyfully because of the good condition of the heart, but you yourselves will make outcries because of the pain of heart and you will howl because of sheer breakdown of spirit.’”—Isaiah 65:13, 14.
10 They base their conduct and their decisions on Bible principles. “Trust in Jehovah with all your heart and do not lean upon your own understanding,” the writer of Proverbs advises us, “in all your ways take notice of him, and he himself will make your paths straight.” (Proverbs 3:5, 6) God backs those who look to him for direction rather than to the contradictory theories of humans who ignore godly wisdom. To the extent that a person is willing to pattern his life after God’s Word, he will avoid having to learn by trial and error.—Psalm 119:33; 1 Corinthians 1:19-21.
11 They are organized in the manner of the first-century Christian congregation. Jesus set out the principle: “Do not you be called Rabbi, for one is your teacher, whereas all you are brothers. Moreover, do not call anyone your father on earth, for one is your Father, the heavenly One. Neither be called ‘leaders,’ for your Leader is one, the Christ. But the greatest one among you must be your minister.” (Matthew 23:8-11) A congregation of brothers precludes having a proud clergy class that honors itself with high-sounding titles and elevates itself above a laity. (Job 32:21, 22) Those shepherding the flock of God are told to do so “not under compulsion, but willingly; neither for love of dishonest gain, but eagerly; neither as lording it over those who are God’s inheritance, but becoming examples to the flock.” (1 Peter 5:2, 3) Genuine Christian shepherds refrain from trying to make themselves masters over the faith of others. As fellow workers in God’s service, they simply strive to set a fine example.—2 Corinthians 1:24.
12 They are submissive to human governments and yet remain neutral. He who fails to be “in subjection to the superior authorities” cannot expect to have God’s backing. Why? Because “the existing authorities stand placed in their relative positions by God. Therefore he who opposes the authority has taken a stand against the arrangement of God.” (Romans 13:1, 2) However, Jesus recognized the possibility of a conflict of interests when he said: “Pay back Caesar’s things to Caesar, but God’s things to God.” (Mark 12:17) Those desiring to have God’s backing must “keep on . . . seeking first the kingdom [of God] and his righteousness,” while at the same time obeying the laws of the land that are compatible with their higher responsibilities to God. (Matthew 6:33; Acts 5:29) Jesus stressed neutrality when he said of his disciples: “They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world.” He later added: “My kingdom is no part of this world.”—John 17:16; 18:36.
13 They are impartial in working “what is good toward all.” (Galatians 6:10) Christian love knows no partiality, accepting all people regardless of their skin color, economic or educational status, nationality, or language. The working of what is good toward all and especially toward those related to them in the faith helps to identify those having God’s backing. Jesus said: “By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.”—John 13:35; Acts 10:34, 35.
14 They are willing to suffer persecution for doing God’s will. Jesus forewarned his followers: “If they have persecuted me, they will persecute you also; if they have observed my word, they will observe yours also.” (John 15:20; Matthew 5:11, 12; 2 Timothy 3:12) Those having God’s backing have always been unpopular, as was Noah, who condemned the world through his faith. (Hebrews 11:7) Today, those desiring God’s backing dare not water down God’s word or compromise godly principles so as to avoid persecution. As long as they faithfully serve God, they know that people will be “puzzled and go on speaking abusively” of them.—1 Peter 2:12; 3:16; 4:4.

http://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2001403

macuser

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 06:40:17 pm »
And you might add in there you shouldn't have a church that rewrites the Bible to contradict itself.