Author Topic: Searching for a Church.  (Read 4435 times)

Fat

Searching for a Church.
« on: February 09, 2012, 12:47:13 pm »
What do we do when we go out and pick a church? What are we looking for? Usually we are looking for a church that we will love. In other words what we are doing is choosing to worship God on our own terms. We are not choosing to worship God on the terms he's given us.

This is basically why so many denominations have been created so that they can satisfy the requirements of worshipers, not the one being worshiped. I have to plead guilty to shopping for church that represents what I believe. But I would like to think I am not shopping for church because it is convenient for me, but looking for a church that is biblically correct as I am led to believe by the Holy Spirit.

I guess what illustrates what I'm saying would be the Church of England as I understand it was established so that the king would not be violating the church doctrine by getting a divorce. Of course most of us cannot set up our own churches as the King of England could, but we can find a church that agrees with whatever we want to call doctrine that has already been established somewhere in our community.

So I believe the task for us to do is to study the Scriptures and form a biblical correct doctrine for ourself before we start our search. For instance you cannot justify biblically a doctrine that baptizes infants, or a doctrine that allows the congregation to be led by a practicing homosexual. In your search of the Scriptures you going to have to determine what the Scriptures actually say about the the Trinity, and other things like God's sovereignty.

You may want to start your search by going to the church websites and reviewing their statement of faith. Then you must look at the statement and compare it with what the Bible actually says. This is not an end to your search because you will find that many churches are not completely honest, or forthcoming with what they truly believe and practice. The only way to go to find this out is actually meet with members of the church or attend a few Sundays.

In my searches of churches, when I have asked members of the church where the pastor what they believe and what their doctrine is have gotten answers like, "we believe the Bible and our doctrine is formed from the Bible." This basically says nothing, every church will tell you they believe the Bible and the church views are consistent with what the Bible teaches. Don't fall for this rhetoric, they can be Pacific, make them explain the Trinity, baptism and other issues like God's sovereignty.

BloodChooser

Re: Searching for a Church.
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 11:45:04 am »
What do we do when we go out and pick a church? What are we looking for? Usually we are looking for a church that we will love. In other words what we are doing is choosing to worship God on our own terms. We are not choosing to worship God on the terms he's given us.

This is basically why so many denominations have been created so that they can satisfy the requirements of worshipers, not the one being worshiped. I have to plead guilty to shopping for church that represents what I believe. But I would like to think I am not shopping for church because it is convenient for me, but looking for a church that is biblically correct as I am led to believe by the Holy Spirit.

Yeah, there's nothing wrong with looking for a church that believes and conducts their proceedings according to what The Holy Spirit has given us through the Word regarding an example church.  There is so much false teaching today that we have to be careful as to what we allow our children and loved ones to be exposed to.  Seeing as how false doctrine is the single most destructive element satan uses regarding church, then this thing becomes much more important.

Fat

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2012, 02:43:22 pm »
Hello BloodChooser,

Those churches that practice false doctrine present a real mine field for the new believer who has never had the chance to become biblically sound. The only thing he has is prayer and trusting God to lead him in the right direction.

Proa42

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2012, 05:36:00 pm »
I wouldn't worry about finding a perfect "church". Long ago we were told the tares would grow up with the wheat. I have never felt I belong. Even as a little child I was always on the fringe of the established social groups. As a new Christian I spent a lot of time in the word on my own (no sunday school), having been introduce to the Christ at a gas station (That's what we called them back in the day). When I went to a place of fellowship it was easy to hear the differences between God's words and their's. So, you hang around a while and share what you know. Eventually you learn you can find truth and fellowship in spite of leadership issues and more than that you learn that even an inspired babe, is more enlightened than a false prophet, even as Paul encouraged Timothy not to be concerned about his young age. Looking back now, I realize why I felt I didn't belong -- because I didn't. This is not my home.

Be not anxious about tomorrow.    It seems we forget The Christs word, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me: And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand."

God is able to do, , , ,

freeman4

I dentifying Gods true Church.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 07:40:09 am »
Does God have His one church or are there many Churches and He is OK with all of them? Why does it say " one faith, one Baptism, one God.

Fat

Re: I dentifying Gods true Church.
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 07:56:48 am »
Does God have His one church or are there many Churches and He is OK with all of them? Why does it say " one faith, one Baptism, one God.

Church in Bible means nothing more than assembly of believers.
The Church belongs to Christ, He is the head of the Church. It is also referred to as the bride of Christ, He will only have one bride.

Do all the assembly of believers believe the same thing? See Rev 2. And ask yourself why Paul wrote so many letters to the deferent churches.

Moss

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 06:30:42 pm »
It seems like everytime I find a good church with a biblical based pastor he up and leaves and is replaced by an arminian PC liberal.

Francis Drake

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 08:04:26 am »
Why do we go there, when the church is merely an institution that Satan has set up to prevent Christians doing the work of the Lord?

Someone tell me where it says a church is led by a pastor at the front? Its all make believe.

Where are the rest of the fivefold ministries?

When christians meet together, the first thing they ask is, who is going to be in charge? Who is going to tell us what to do? No wonder man takes over, when the majority abdicate!

Its just like Israel, when they cried out, "Give us a king." God told Samuel that they had rejected God from reigning over them. In crying out for leaders the church has dethroned God and put men in his place. The saints serve their leader's wishes rather than God's because that's what we demanded.
After all, listening to a man at the front is far easier than listening to the Holy Spirit! You can just go with the flow, and the warm fuzzy feelings, believing that it is all God's will.
No wonder the saints welcome wolves amongst them, they can't tell the difference.

That is why I don't go any more. There is one mediator between man and God and that is the man Jesus Christ.

In the bible, the meetings were led by the Holy Spirit, speaking through all the members gathered together. Today we use order of service sheets and prayer books. Saves bothering God doesn't it?

Even when a church claims to be spirit led, they are still orchestrated by the man at the front, usually all pre-planned with the worship team. The rest of us are merely the audience. If we receive anything from the Lord, the likelihood of being free to contribute to the meeting is slight, the program must not be disturbed.

God stands on the sidelines, hoping for crumbs.

Fat

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 08:56:16 am »
Why do we go there, when the church is merely an institution that Satan has set up to prevent Christians doing the work of the Lord?

Someone tell me where it says a church is led by a pastor at the front? Its all make believe.

Where are the rest of the fivefold ministries?

When christians meet together, the first thing they ask is, who is going to be in charge? Who is going to tell us what to do? No wonder man takes over, when the majority abdicate!

Its just like Israel, when they cried out, "Give us a king." God told Samuel that they had rejected God from reigning over them. In crying out for leaders the church has dethroned God and put men in his place. The saints serve their leader's wishes rather than God's because that's what we demanded.
After all, listening to a man at the front is far easier than listening to the Holy Spirit! You can just go with the flow, and the warm fuzzy feelings, believing that it is all God's will.
No wonder the saints welcome wolves amongst them, they can't tell the difference.

That is why I don't go any more. There is one mediator between man and God and that is the man Jesus Christ.

In the bible, the meetings were led by the Holy Spirit, speaking through all the members gathered together. Today we use order of service sheets and prayer books. Saves bothering God doesn't it?

Even when a church claims to be spirit led, they are still orchestrated by the man at the front, usually all pre-planned with the worship team. The rest of us are merely the audience. If we receive anything from the Lord, the likelihood of being free to contribute to the meeting is slight, the program must not be disturbed.

God stands on the sidelines, hoping for crumbs.

1 Tim 3
A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach;3 not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous;4 one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence5 (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?);6 not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same

Titus 1
5 For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you--6 if a man is blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of dissipation or insubordination.7 For a bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money,8 but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just, holy, self-controlled,9 holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.

I agree we have no leadership, the question is 'why no leadership ?'

iPhone post

Francis Drake

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 10:16:02 am »

1 Tim 3
A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, temperate, sober-minded, of good behavior, hospitable, able to teach;3 not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money, but gentle, not quarrelsome, not covetous;4 one who rules his own house well, having his children in submission with all reverence5 (for if a man does not know how to rule his own house, how will he take care of the church of God?);6 not a novice, lest being puffed up with pride he fall into the same

Titus 1
5 For this reason I left you in Crete, that you should set in order the things that are lacking, and appoint elders in every city as I commanded you--6 if a man is blameless, the husband of one wife, having faithful children not accused of dissipation or insubordination.7 For a bishop must be blameless, as a steward of God, not self-willed, not quick-tempered, not given to wine, not violent, not greedy for money,8 but hospitable, a lover of what is good, sober-minded, just, holy, self-controlled,9 holding fast the faithful word as he has been taught, that he may be able, by sound doctrine, both to exhort and convict those who contradict.

I agree we have no leadership, the question is 'why no leadership ?'

iPhone post

You are doing exactly what everyone has done for centuries. You have made the great leap between what it actually says about overseers, and who leads a meeting of the saints. Show me anywhere scripture makes this connection. Neither of your scriptures say anything about the gathering.
Read 1Cor14v26

Fat

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 10:35:25 am »
You are doing exactly what everyone has done for centuries. You have made the great leap between what it actually says about overseers, and who leads a meeting of the saints. Show me anywhere scripture makes this connection. Neither of your scriptures say anything about the gathering.
Read 1Cor14v26

1 Cor 14:26 is about speaking in tongues, I don't get the connection.

If anything your verse is demanding leadership and not a free-for-all in the assembly.
If you have 20 people interpreting the Bible with no leadership you're going to get 20 different variations of doctrine.

When everyone and an assembly speaks the same language there's really no need for speaking in tongues it is a show. And it is a lack of leadership that allows it to go on.

This is what is so frustrating about finding a church, it is about finding one with proper leadership.

Francis Drake

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 02:46:37 pm »
1 Cor 14:26 is about speaking in tongues, I don't get the connection.

If anything your verse is demanding leadership and not a free-for-all in the assembly.
If you have 20 people interpreting the Bible with no leadership you're going to get 20 different variations of doctrine.

When everyone and an assembly speaks the same language there's really no need for speaking in tongues it is a show. And it is a lack of leadership that allows it to go on.

This is what is so frustrating about finding a church, it is about finding one with proper leadership.

Wow, you clearly have no idea of what 1Corinthians14 is about do you?
Verse 26 is not about speaking in tongues. It is about the application in a meeting of all of the ministry gifts, which just happens to include tongues. I am amazed that you cannot see the connection to what I wrote above.
Verse 26 describes how a meeting is supposed to operate. "What is it brethren, when you come together............".
Leading a meeting from the front like a schoolroom, as in today's church, was anathema to the early church!
Verse 26 also says nothing whatsoever about having a leader. The verses follow on to extol mutual submission to one another, not to a hierarchical leader.

Have you never been a part of a meeting led by the Holy Spirit? The gifts of the Holy Spirit are not just about interpreting the bible. 
When a meeting is led by the Spirit of God, you will find that God leads all gifts in the same direction and to the same conclusion. God is the leader, not the pastor or priest!
A church meeting minus the gifts of the Holy Spirit is not a meeting with the Lord. It is just man's substitute.

1Cor14v26 onwards gives the clearest description in the bible of an assembly of the saints. Sadly the general belittling of the gifts of the spirit mean that this description is widely ignored, and replaced by the classroom or theatre type meetings we see today.

Fat

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 04:02:16 pm »
Wow, you clearly have no idea of what 1Corinthians14 is about do you?
Verse 26 is not about speaking in tongues. It is about the application in a meeting of all of the ministry gifts, which just happens to include tongues. I am amazed that you cannot see the connection to what I wrote above.
Verse 26 describes how a meeting is supposed to operate. "What is it brethren, when you come together............".
Leading a meeting from the front like a schoolroom, as in today's church, was anathema to the early church!
Verse 26 also says nothing whatsoever about having a leader. The verses follow on to extol mutual submission to one another, not to a hierarchical leader.

Have you never been a part of a meeting led by the Holy Spirit? The gifts of the Holy Spirit are not just about interpreting the bible. 
When a meeting is led by the Spirit of God, you will find that God leads all gifts in the same direction and to the same conclusion. God is the leader, not the pastor or priest!
A church meeting minus the gifts of the Holy Spirit is not a meeting with the Lord. It is just man's substitute.

1Cor14v26 onwards gives the clearest description in the bible of an assembly of the saints. Sadly the general belittling of the gifts of the spirit mean that this description is widely ignored, and replaced by the classroom or theatre type meetings we see today.

Holman Christian Standard
Quote from: 1 Corinthians 14
Order in Church Meetings
26 How is it then, brothers? Whenever you come together, each one has a psalm, a teaching, a revelation, [another] language, or an interpretation. All things must be done for edification. 27 If any person speaks in [another] language, there should be only two, or at the most three, each in turn, and someone must interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, that person should keep silent in the church and speak to himself and to God. 29 Two or three prophets should speak, and the others should evaluate. 30 But if something has been revealed to another person sitting there, the first prophet should be silent. 31 For you can all prophesy one by one, so that everyone may learn and everyone may be encouraged. 32 And the prophets' spirits are under the control of the prophets, 33 since God is not a God of disorder but of peace. As in all the churches of the saints, 34 the women should be silent in the churches, for they are not permitted to speak, but should be submissive, as the law also says. 35 And if they want to learn something, they should ask their own husbands at home, for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church meeting. 36 Did the word of God originate from you, or did it come to you only? 37 If anyone thinks he is a prophet or spiritual, he should recognize that what I write to you is the Lord's command. 38 But if anyone ignores this, he will be ignored. 39 Therefore, my brothers, be eager to prophesy, and do not forbid speaking in [other] languages. 40 But everything must be done decently and in order.

Church is not about a free-for-all, it is an orderly meeting, with leadership and direction.

You seem to be under the assumption that a meeting of Christians can be held without the presence of the Holy Spirit. This is false.

All Christians are lead by the Holy Ghost (1 Cor. 6:19-20, 1 Cor. 12:13, Mark 1:8, John 14:15-17, Romans 8:11 ), if your have a meeting of Christians the Holy Ghost (Spirit) is present.

So the question is, is the leadership of the church led by the Holy Spirit?

During home Bible studies we pray that the Spirit directs us and helps us understand the Scripture. But even a Bible study has to have some leadership and direction.

For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there among them.

Francis Drake

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2013, 03:35:04 am »
Holman Christian Standard
Church is not about a free-for-all, it is an orderly meeting, with leadership and direction.

Who is talking about a free for all? You appear to have no experience of the Holy Spirit leading a meeting through "every joint supplying", not just the man with the badge. We have but one head, Jesus, except of course for the millions of pastors who stand at the front and control everything in God's stead!

You seem to be under the assumption that a meeting of Christians can be held without the presence of the Holy Spirit. This is false.

Are you having a laugh? Millions of church meetings the world over are conducted without the Holy Spirit being involved.

All Christians are lead by the Holy Ghost (1 Cor. 6:19-20, 1 Cor. 12:13, Mark 1:8, John 14:15-17, Romans 8:11 ), if your have a meeting of Christians the Holy Ghost (Spirit) is present.

You only have to read your bible to see that this statement is totally false. Scripture is full of rebuke for those who are not led by the spirit, but by legalism or other false spirits. I can give chapter and verse if you wish, but I shouldn't have to.
The christian is not a robot, he still exercises freewill to love and serve God, or to love and serve religious spirits. Yes, we are the temple, but like all temples, other god's can also dwell within.
The list of verses you quote are only applicable to those who put aside their own agenda, something which few church leaders do!

So the question is, is the leadership of the church led by the Holy Spirit?

During home Bible studies we pray that the Spirit directs us and helps us understand the Scripture. But even a Bible study has to have some leadership and direction.

History is full of those who pray for guidance, and then go off and do their own agenda.

For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there among them.

This refers to a specific issue that the Jews had. Before any meeting could be held, there had to be a Minyan, that is at least ten people before they could publicly pray. Jesus was simply pricking a silly balloon that the Pharisees had inflated. It is not an issue to this discussion.

Please tell me whether you have experienced the gifts of the Holy Spirit being manifest freely in your meetings, also whether you personally move in the gifts of prophecy, vision, discernment, interpretation etc.
If such a concept is alien to you, then it explains why you would never comprehend a meeting led by the Holy Spirit working directly through the saints.

Fat

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2013, 07:40:19 am »
 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord. And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

Who is talking about a free for all?  You appear to have no experience of the Holy Spirit leading a meeting through "every joint supplying", not just the man with the badge. We have but one head, Jesus, except of course for the millions of pastors who stand at the front and control everything in God's stead!

Are you having a laugh? Millions of church meetings the world over are conducted without the Holy Spirit being involved.

You only have to read your bible to see that this statement is totally false. Scripture is full of rebuke for those who are not led by the spirit, but by legalism or other false spirits. I can give chapter and verse if you wish, but I shouldn't have to.
The christian is not a robot, he still exercises freewill to love and serve God, or to love and serve religious spirits. Yes, we are the temple, but like all temples, other god's can also dwell within.
The list of verses you quote are only applicable to those who put aside their own agenda, something which few church leaders do!

History is full of those who pray for guidance, and then go off and do their own agenda.

This refers to a specific issue that the Jews had. Before any meeting could be held, there had to be a Minyan, that is at least ten people before they could publicly pray. Jesus was simply pricking a silly balloon that the Pharisees had inflated. It is not an issue to this discussion.

Please tell me whether you have experienced the gifts of the Holy Spirit being manifest freely in your meetings, also whether you personally move in the gifts of prophecy, vision, discernment, interpretation etc.
If such a concept is alien to you, then it explains why you would never comprehend a meeting led by the Holy Spirit working directly through the saints.

Started in a Pentecostal church (Bethel Church - Assemblies of God) have seen the show, but God blessed me with the truth of the Spirit and I got out. But even they had their leadership. God does choose leaders for His Church, you do understand that don't you?

I guess I shouldn't use the Scripture with you after all you and Pope Francis get all your teachings without  it, but directly from the Spirit.

And he ordained twelve, that they should be with him, and that he might send them forth to preach ,

And the priests and the Levites that were in all Israel resorted to him out of all their coasts.  For the Levites left their suburbs and their possession, and came to Judah and Jerusalem: for Jeroboam and his sons had cast them off from executing the priest's office unto the LORD:  And he ordained him priests for the high places, and for the devils, and for the calves which he had made .

All that are with me salute thee. Greet them that love us in the faith. Grace be with you all. Amen. [It was written to Titus, ordained the first bishop of the church of the Cretians, from Nicopolis of Macedonia.]

The Lord Jesus Christ be with thy spirit. Grace be with you. Amen. [The second epistle unto Timotheus, ordained the first bishop of the church of the Ephesians, was written from Rome, when Paul was brought before Nero the second time.]

And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed .

Whereunto I am ordained a preacher, and an apostle, (I speak the truth in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity.

For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer .