Author Topic: Called by God - Oswald Chambers  (Read 1230 times)

JB Horn

Called by God - Oswald Chambers
« on: February 23, 2016, 10:55:29 pm »
Called by God

by Oswald Chambers

“I heard the voice of the Lord, saying: ‘Whom shall I send, and who will go for Us?’ Then I said, ‘Here am I! Send me’ ” (Isaiah 6:8 ).
God did not direct His call to Isaiah—Isaiah overheard God saying, “… who will go for Us?” The call of God is not just for a select few but for everyone. Whether I hear God’s call or not depends on the condition of my ears, and exactly what I hear depends upon my spiritual attitude. “Many are called, but few are chosen” (Matthew 22:14 ). That is, few prove that they are the chosen ones. The chosen ones are those who have come into a relationship with God through Jesus Christ and have had their spiritual condition changed and their ears opened. Then they hear “the voice of the Lord” continually asking, “… who will go for Us?” However, God doesn’t single out someone and say, “Now, you go.” He did not force His will on Isaiah. Isaiah was in the presence of God, and he overheard the call. His response, performed in complete freedom, could only be to say, “Here am I! Send me.”
Remove the thought from your mind of expecting God to come to force you or to plead with you. When our Lord called His disciples, He did it without irresistible pressure from the outside. The quiet, yet passionate, insistence of His “Follow Me” was spoken to men whose every sense was receptive (Matthew 4:19 ). If we will allow the Holy Spirit to bring us face to face with God, we too will hear what Isaiah heard—“the voice of the Lord.” In perfect freedom we too will say, “Here am I! Send me.”

JB
I have some disagreement with Chambers on who the Chosen are:

John 6:
44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up on the last day. It is written in the Prophets:And they will all be taught by God. Everyone who has listened to and learned from the Father comes to Me —
65 He said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to Me unless it is granted to him by the Father

CowboyGH

Re: Called by God - Oswald Chambers
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 06:36:29 am »
amen :)

We are all "called" at one point or other. If that be through someone mentioning God to you, or seeing something that speaks of God. It boils down to your choice if you believe and obey or not. God doesn't want "puppets" or mindless robots. God wants people to want to love him, want to obey him. Not out of direst or being "programmed".

JB Horn

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 09:41:45 am »
amen :)

We are all "called" at one point or other. If that be through someone mentioning God to you, or seeing something that speaks of God. It boils down to your choice if you believe and obey or not. God doesn't want "puppets" or mindless robots. God wants people to want to love him, want to obey him. Not out of direst or being "programmed".

Romans 3
"11. THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS, THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD;"

Romans 9
"15. For He says to Moses, "I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION.""

Romans 9
"16. So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy."

CowboyGH

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 02:15:14 pm »
Romans 3

Please don't take verses out of context. This verse in question is referring to a specific group of people for a specific reason.

11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:

14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

15 Their feet are swift to shed blood:

16 Destruction and misery are in their ways:

17 And the way of peace have they not known:

18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.

Romans 9
"15. For He says to Moses, "I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION.

That is absolutely correct. For he is "God". The being of all authority over anything and everything.

Romans 3

Romans 9
"15. For He says to Moses, "I WILL HAVE MERCY ON WHOM I HAVE MERCY, AND I WILL HAVE COMPASSION ON WHOM I HAVE COMPASSION.""

Romans 9
"16. So then it does not depend on the man who wills or the man who runs, but on God who has mercy."

JB Horn

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 04:51:56 pm »
Please don't take verses out of context. This verse in question is referring to a specific group of people for a specific reason.

11 There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God.

12 They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

13 Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:

14 Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:

15 Their feet are swift to shed blood:

16 Destruction and misery are in their ways:

17 And the way of peace have they not known:

18 There is no fear of God before their eyes.

If you want to keep it in context and learn who is being spoken about, why didn't you go back a few verses?

Rom 3:9  What then? Are we any better? Not at all! For we have previously charged that both Jews and Gentiles are all under sin, 10 as it is written:
There is no one righteous, not even one.
 11 There is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God

Quote from: Comes from Psalm 14:
1 The fool says in his heart, “There is no God.” They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good. 2 The LORD looks down from heaven on all mankind to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God.

Shalom
JB

CowboyGH

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 05:34:33 am »
If you want to keep it in context and learn who is being spoken about, why didn't you go back a few verses?

Rom 3:9  What then? Are we any better? Not at all! For we have previously charged that both Jews and Gentiles are all under sin, 10 as it is written:
There is no one righteous, not even one.
 11 There is no one who understands;
there is no one who seeks God

Shalom
JB

Again, just verses taken out of context. Read further down that chapter and you'll see it was referring to a specific group of people at a specific time.

7 Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion! when the Lord bringeth back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad

JB Horn

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 09:39:14 am »
Again, just verses taken out of context. Read further down that chapter and you'll see it was referring to a specific group of people at a specific time.

7 Oh that the salvation of Israel were come out of Zion! when the Lord bringeth back the captivity of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, and Israel shall be glad

You're getting Psalm and Romans mixup but for the help of others just dropping by let me post both chapters;

Quote from: NAS
Psalm 14:1 The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.”
They are corrupt, they have committed abominable deeds;
There is no one who does good.
2 The Lord has looked down from heaven upon the sons of men
To see if there are any who understand,
Who seek after God.
3 They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt;
There is no one who does good, not even one.
4 Do all the workers of wickedness not know,
Who eat up my people as they eat bread,
And do not call upon the Lord?
5 There they are in great dread,
For God is with the righteous generation.
6 You would put to shame the counsel of the afflicted,
But the Lord is his refuge.
7 Oh, that the salvation of Israel would come out of Zion!
When the Lord restores His captive people,
Jacob will rejoice, Israel will be glad.

================

Roman 3:1 Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the benefit of circumcision? 2 Great in every respect. First of all, that they were entrusted with the oracles of God. 3 What then? If some did not believe, their unbelief will not nullify the faithfulness of God, will it? 4 May it never be! Rather, let God be found true, though every man be found a liar, as it is written,
“That You may be justified in Your words,
And prevail when You are judged.”
5 But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? The God who inflicts wrath is not unrighteous, is He? (I am speaking in human terms.) 6 May it never be! For otherwise, how will God judge the world? 7 But if through my lie the truth of God abounded to His glory, why am I also still being judged as a sinner? 8 And why not say (as we are slanderously reported and as some claim that we say), “Let us do evil that good may come”? Their condemnation is just.
9 What then? Are we better than they? Not at all; for we have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are all under sin; 10 as it is written,
“There is none righteous, not even one;
11 There is none who understands,
There is none who seeks for God;
12 All have turned aside, together they have become useless;
There is none who does good,
There is not even one.”
13 “Their throat is an open grave,
With their tongues they keep deceiving,”
“The poison of asps is under their lips”;
14 “Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness”;
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood,
16 Destruction and misery are in their paths,
17 And the path of peace they have not known.”
18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; 20 because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

Justification by Faith
21 But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; 25 whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed; 26 for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
27 Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith. 28 For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30 since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one.
31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

Now on your interpretation of Psalm 14:7
Is it your mind that the Salvation (The Christ) from Zion is for the Jews only?

On the other hand are you claiming that in Romans 3 that the Gentiles were seeking God?

You might want to consider who Paul was writing this letter to.

It is very clear what Paul is saying and who he is addressing the comments at.

Salvation came to all of us through Zion (David) just as prophesied.

JB

CowboyGH

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2016, 01:37:19 pm »
You're getting Psalm and Romans mixup but for the help of others just dropping by let me post both chapters;

Now on your interpretation of Psalm 14:7
Is it your mind that the Salvation (The Christ) from Zion is for the Jews only?

On the other hand are you claiming that in Romans 3 that the Gentiles were seeking God?

You might want to consider who Paul was writing this letter to.

It is very clear what Paul is saying and who he is addressing the comments at.

Salvation came to all of us through Zion (David) just as prophesied.

JB

At first it was only for the Jews, then when Jesus came he opened Heaven to the gentiles as well when they follow Jesus :)

JB Horn

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2016, 05:50:35 pm »
At first it was only for the Jews, then when Jesus came he opened Heaven to the gentiles as well when they follow Jesus :)

Yes!!!!
So let's go back to Romans 3:11.
THERE IS NONE WHO UNDERSTANDS, THERE IS NONE WHO SEEKS FOR GOD;

Quote from: You said

I say it is His chosen, the elect, His sheep. SHOW ME I AM WRONG!!! What group, what reason?

Roman 3:1 Then what advantage has the Jew? Or what is the benefit of circumcision? 2 Great in every respect. First of all, that they were entrusted with the oracles of God. 3 What then? If some did not believe, their unbelief will not nullify the faithfulness of God, will it? 4 May it never be! Rather, let God be found true, though every man be found a liar, as it is written,
“That You may be justified in Your words,
And prevail when You are judged.”
5 But if our unrighteousness demonstrates the righteousness of God, what shall we say? The God who inflicts wrath is not unrighteous, is He? (I am speaking in human terms.) 6 May it never be! For otherwise, how will God judge the world? 7 But if through my lie the truth of God abounded to His glory, why am I also still being judged as a sinner? 8 And why not say (as we are slanderously reported and as some claim that we say), “Let us do evil that good may come”? Their condemnation is just.
9 What then? Are we better than they? Not at all; for we have already charged that both Jews and Greeks are all under sin; 10 as it is written,
“There is none righteous, not even one;
11 There is none who understands,
There is none who seeks for God;

12 All have turned aside, together they have become useless;
There is none who does good,
There is not even one.”
13 “Their throat is an open grave,
With their tongues they keep deceiving,”
“The poison of asps is under their lips”;
14 “Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness”;
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood,
16 Destruction and misery are in their paths,
17 And the path of peace they have not known.”
18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
19 Now we know that whatever the Law says, it speaks to those who are under the Law, so that every mouth may be closed and all the world may become accountable to God; 20 because by the works of the Law no flesh will be justified in His sight; for through the Law comes the knowledge of sin.

Justification by Faith
21 But now apart from the Law the righteousness of God has been manifested, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God through faith in Jesus Christ for all those who believe; for there is no distinction; 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 being justified as a gift by His grace through the redemption which is in Christ Jesus; 25 whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed; 26 for the demonstration, I say, of His righteousness at the present time, so that He would be just and the justifier of the one who has faith in Jesus.
27 Where then is boasting? It is excluded. By what kind of law? Of works? No, but by a law of faith. 28 For we maintain that a man is justified by faith apart from works of the Law. 29 Or is God the God of Jews only? Is He not the God of Gentiles also? Yes, of Gentiles also, 30 since indeed God who will justify the circumcised by faith and the uncircumcised through faith is one.
31 Do we then nullify the Law through faith? May it never be! On the contrary, we establish the Law.

If you really believe that your will was so strong it conquered your human sinful nature and you seeked God on your own you are a better cowboy then I.

No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him, and I will raise him up on the last day.......He said, “This is why I told you that no one can come to Me unless it is granted to him by the Father

JB