Author Topic: Luke 7:33-35  (Read 871 times)

clark thompson

Luke 7:33-35
« on: June 25, 2018, 02:03:15 am »
Luke 7:33-35 King James Version (KJV)
33 For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine; and ye say, He hath a devil.
34 The Son of man is come eating and drinking; and ye say, Behold a gluttonous man, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!
35 But wisdom is justified of all her children.

Luke 7:33-35 Revised Standard Version (RSV)

33 For John the Baptist has come eating no bread and drinking no wine; and you say, ‘He has a demon.’ 34 The Son of man has come eating and drinking; and you say, ‘Behold, a glutton and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!’ 35 Yet wisdom is justified by all her children.”

Revised Standard Version (RSV) Revised Standard Version of the Bible, copyright © 1946, 1952, and 1971 the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the United States of America. Used by permission. All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

33 They saw this because they thought maybe he lived without food but truth was he fasted a lot more then them without saying anything.

34 Jesus was happy to be a friend to sinners; Jesus never over ate or got drunk but didn’t fast just to say how good he was as they did.

35 For these teachers their students or children would be so turned to the traditions that they wanted to get rid of the truth for good. Jesus’ followers impacted the world for His name and it changed it by Him forever.

Fat

Re: Luke 7:33-35
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 06:30:33 pm »
Hello Clark,

When I read verses 33 and 34 I kinda get the feeling Christ is using that phrase of today, 'you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't'. They were not going to be satisfied with anybody outside of their elite group. In verse 35 sounds to me like He saying, ' Even the children can see through you'.

biblebuf

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2018, 12:12:36 am »
35 But wisdom is justified of all her children.

I don't believe the we are talking about human children but the product of Wisdom.

Look at the way Matthew wrote of the same event.

Matt 11:19 19. "The Son of Man came eating and drinking, and they say, 'Behold, a gluttonous man and a drunkard, a friend of tax collectors and sinners!' Yet wisdom is vindicated by her deeds."

Paul tells us one of that Wisdom comes from the Scripture and one of Her children is Salvation.

2 Timothy 3:15. and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

Hal

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2018, 01:15:27 pm »
Quote from: MacArthur, John
True wisdom is vindicated by all her children. I.e., true wisdom is vindicated by its consequences— what it produces.

1 Peter 2:15 For such is the will of God that by doing right you may silence the ignorance of foolish men. 16 Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God. 17 Honor all people, love the brotherhood, fear God, honor the king.