Author Topic: Was Jesus forsaken by his Father?  (Read 1037 times)

Isaiah9Six

Was Jesus forsaken by his Father?
« on: December 20, 2018, 04:49:58 pm »
The gospel of Matthew in the 27th chapter verses 45-46 says; Now from the sixth hour there was darkness over all the land unto the ninth hour. And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

It is thought by many that these events at the cross (along with others) was God's reaction towards the sin his Son bore on behalf of the world. I don't believe that God ever separated himself from Jesus, neither did Jesus ever stop trusting that his Father was with him.

David in Psalm 22 starts with the words Matthew uses indicating that there is a connection between what David said and what Jesus is saying. This is actually in perfect keeping with the constant example of the whole life of Jesus in meeting every crisis with a quotation from the Holy Scriptures. "It is written; it is written; and again it is written". In support of this view is the remarkable number of specific prophecies relative to the crucifixion which are contained in Psalms 22, and which were at that very moment being fulfilled so graphically before all.

This remarkable word picture of the crucifixion contains at least twenty specific details, some of which are not even found in the gospels. This Psalm is quoted by Jesus when hanging on the cross. It is His aim to teach that the events on the cross that were prophesied about Him are being fulfilled.

Why? Because the understanding of those present was that anyone hanging on a cross was the worst of criminals, that they deserved to be punished for what they have done.
Jesus draws attention to the Psalm with all of it's significant parallels to what he is presently going through and makes it clear by the Psalm that he was not deserving of this punishment but rather has been accused unjustly.
As we read the entire Psalm it begins with what appears as if God has left Jesus, but verses 21 and 24 is the turning point that states that Jesus was never left alone. Jesus Himself says it in John 16:32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me alone: and yet I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

Jesus died as a sacrifice for our sins, the perfect sinless Lamb of God.

Consider what I say and may the Lord giveth thee understanding

Fat

Re: Was Jesus forsaken by his Father?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 12:10:22 am »
I imagine that when Christ absorbed the sins of man that the Father turned his face from those sins. The Son was the perfect unblemished lamb and the spilling of His blood did not change that perfection. I don't believe that the Father ever turned away from, or forsake The Lamb only the sins of man that He had taken on. Those sins are now forgiven and are not seen by the Father (forever more).

Isaiah9Six

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 03:43:35 pm »
I don't wish to make this topic a debate, this section is for bible study. I am however a little confused about your response. You said "I don't believe that the Father ever turned away from, or forsake The Lamb only the sins of man that He had taken on."

How could Jesus be the spotless Lamb that has no sin, and at the same time have sins on him? You're making a contradictory statement. I don't wish to analyze your statement but it sounds a lot like the Calvinistic doctrine of substitutionary atonement that says Jesus substituted our sins for His righteousness.

Back to bible study: there are some biblical words that we need to put into our study that will make this topic a lot clearer. 1. Redemption= the ideas of loosing from a bond, setting free from captivity or slavery, buying back something lost or sold. 2. Ransom= the price or payment made for our redemption. Redeem= the act of paying the ransom. Reconciliation= a change wrought in both parties who have been at enmity with each other and now have peace. Justification= just as if I a person never sinned. Propitiation=  God offered Jesus as a propitiation or mercy seat, a place where justice could be satisfied.

Putting it all together: We are set free, loosed from the bondage of sin because of what Jesus did on the cross (redemption). He redeemed us not with silver or gold, but paid the ransom due with his precious blood. It was mankind that needed reconciliation because it was man that rebelled against a holy God. Because God is full of grace and mercy, he gave man a sacrificial system in order to forgive their sins and roll them over to the next year. The blood of bulls and goats could never take away sins, the offerer worshipped by faith till the seed would come that would forever take away sin.

Because God overlooked those sins past, it was needful for him to justify himself for doing that. Jesus was offered as a propitiation, the spotless Lamb that could alter the character of God towards sin and bring about a restoration of God's forfeited favour. This is effected by his justice being satisfied, so that he can, in consistency with his own nature, be favourable toward sinners. Justice demanded the punishment of sinners, the death of Christ satisfies justice, and so reconciles God to us.

With the obstacle removed that prevented God from being just towards us, he can now justify anyone who comes to Him by faith because the blood of Christ cleanses their sins as well.

Romans 3:24-26 is the place in the bible that I'm using as my biblical reference. Please read and consider what I say.

Fat

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 08:47:24 pm »
Please read and consider Lev 16:21 "Then Aaron shall lay both of his hands on the head of the live goat, and confess over it all the iniquities of the sons of Israel and all their transgressions in regard to all their sins; and he shall lay them on the head of the goat and send it away into the wilderness by the hand of a man who stands in readiness. 22 "The goat shall bear on itself all their iniquities to a solitary land; and he shall release the goat in the wilderness.

biblebuf

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 09:20:48 pm »
Please read and consider Lev 16:21 "Then Aaron shall lay both of his hands on the head of the live goat, and confess over it all the iniquities of the sons of Israel and all their transgressions in regard to all their sins; and he shall lay them on the head of the goat and send it away into the wilderness by the hand of a man who stands in readiness. 22 "The goat shall bear on itself all their iniquities to a solitary land; and he shall release the goat in the wilderness.

This act was more than a symbolic gesture; it was a picture of the ultimate “substitutionary atonement” fulfilled by the Lord Jesus Christ (John MacArthur )

BB

Isaiah9Six

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 05:56:51 am »
Good day Fat and BB, I appreciate your thoughts concerning Jesus, the Father and the cross. As we study this interesting topic it's easy to begin running down different rabbit trails and forget what it is we're studying. Did the Father turn away from his Son when he hung on the cross because the sins of the world were on him? I have used scripture to show that the Father never left his Son (Psalm 22 and John 16).

In response the topic changed from Jesus not being forsaken but rather the sin that was on him caused God to forsake, and that was sort of confusing to me. I mean how could Jesus be the spotless Lamb that has no sin, and at the same time have sins on him?

It was me that began the discussion about substitutionary atonement, forgive me for getting us off track. I'll begin a new post on that when I finish here.

Concerning Psalm 22 consider if you will verse 24; For he hath not despised nor abhorred the affliction of the afflicted; neither hath he hid his face from him; but when he cried unto him, he heard.

There we have David who by the way was inspired, saying that God did not hide his face towards the afflicted, meaning Christ. Since it nowhere says that God actually turned away we must conclude that what Jesus was doing was using Psalm 22 to draw attention to the cross as I stated in my original post.

Our loving Savior never failed to take every opportunity to teach and that is what he was doing there.

Consider what I say......

Fat

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 08:03:19 am »
If all you want is an answer to the question and not an explanation of the verse then NO, is your answer.