Author Topic: Did Peter and Paul preach the same gospel?  (Read 1553 times)

Isaiah9Six

Did Peter and Paul preach the same gospel?
« on: December 21, 2018, 07:31:29 pm »
I was in a bible study a few weeks back and the topic of dispensations came up. The person teaching the study spoke of the dispensation of grace and said that it was not until Paul went to Arabia did he receive the revelation concerning  grace. Up to that time Peter's gospel of salvation by works was preached commanding everyone to be baptized in order to be saved.

They used Eph. 3:1-3 to show that Paul's gospel of grace was a mystery until Christ explained it to him through revelation. v.v. 1-3a Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,   If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward: How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery;

Peter's preaching to the Jews was taken from Acts 2:36-41 Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ. Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do? Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call. And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation. Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

What are your views? Did Peter and Paul preach different gospel?

biblebuf

Re: Did Peter and Paul preach the same gospel?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 09:12:55 pm »
2 peter 3 (NAS)
15 and regard the patience of our Lord as salvation; just as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given him, wrote to you, 16 as also in all his letters, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which the untaught and unstable distort, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures, to their own destruction. 17 You therefore, beloved, knowing this beforehand, be on your guard so that you are not carried away by the error of unprincipled men and fall from your own steadfastness, 18 but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

BB

thorndale

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2019, 07:47:27 am »
IMHO, Peter and Paul preached to two different assemblies therefore they preached different messages?

Peter was a Jew, steeped in the law and preached a simple message, Jesus was the Christ, the promised Messiah! I guess you could argue that that message is in fact the Gospel (AKA the Good News )

Paul on the other hand preached the age of Grace and the finished work on the cross. Paul's version of the Gospel ( AKA The Good News ) was that salvation was accomplished by believing in the Birth, Death and Resurrection of Jesus!

As far as I understand it, the finished work of the cross was hidden from the Apostles and the main thrust of their teaching was that Jesus was the Christ, the prophesied one from the scriptures along with their understanding of the Law?

Personally, this has opened up another question for me? A question I have come up with an acceptable answer for myself, but I would be interested in other opinions? The question is, as Paul teaches in his version of the Gospel, belief that the birth, death and resurrection of Jesus ( the finished work on the cross and Christ victory over death ) is required for salvation, where does that leave a person who simply confesses their belief in Jesus?   

John

biblebuf

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2019, 12:17:30 am »
IMHO, Peter and Paul preached to two different assemblies therefore they preached different messages?

Peter was a Jew, steeped in the law and preached a simple message, Jesus was the Christ, the promised Messiah! I guess you could argue that that message is in fact the Gospel (AKA the Good News )

Paul on the other hand preached the age of Grace and the finished work on the cross. Paul's version of the Gospel ( AKA The Good News ) was that salvation was accomplished by believing in the Birth, Death and Resurrection of Jesus!

As far as I understand it, the finished work of the cross was hidden from the Apostles and the main thrust of their teaching was that Jesus was the Christ, the prophesied one from the scriptures along with their understanding of the Law?

Personally, this has opened up another question for me? A question I have come up with an acceptable answer for myself, but I would be interested in other opinions? The question is, as Paul teaches in his version of the Gospel, belief that the birth, death and resurrection of Jesus ( the finished work on the cross and Christ victory over death ) is required for salvation, where does that leave a person who simply confesses their belief in Jesus?   

John
Hello John

What you missed: An inward turning away from sin.

Jesus, Peter and Paul all taught the same gospel.

Jesus:

Matthew 4:17
From that time Jesus began to preach and say, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”

Matthew 11:20
[ The Unrepenting Cities ] Then He began to denounce the cities in which most of His miracles were done, because they did not repent.

Mark 1:15
and saying, “The time is fulfilled, and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe in the gospel.”

Luke 5:32
I have not come to call the righteous but sinners to repentance.”

Luke 13:3
I tell you, no, but unless you repent, you will all likewise perish.

Peter:

Acts 2:38
Peter said to them, “Repent, and each of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins; and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Acts 3:19
Therefore repent and return, so that your sins may be wiped away, in order that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord;

Acts 5:31
He is the one whom God exalted to His right hand as a Prince and a Savior, to grant repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

Acts 11:18
When they heard this, they quieted down and glorified God, saying, “Well then, God has granted to the Gentiles also the repentance that leads to life.”

Paul:

Romans 2:4
Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance?

2 Corinthians 7:9
I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to the point of repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to the will of God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us.

2 Corinthians 12:21
I am afraid that when I come again my God may humiliate me before you, and I may mourn over many of those who have sinned in the past and not repented of the impurity, immorality and sensuality which they have practiced.

2 Timothy 2:25
with gentleness correcting those who are in opposition, if perhaps God may grant them repentance leading to the knowledge of the truth,

Quote from: You asked
where does that leave a person who simply confesses their belief in Jesus?

Even Satan believes in the resurrection, but he has no repentance in him, only pride.

Berkhof describes the intellectual element of repentance as "a change of view, a recognition of sin as involving personal guilt, defilement, and helplessness." The emotional element is "a change of feeling, manifesting itself in sorrow for sin committed against a holy God." The volitional element is "a change of purpose, an inward turning away from sin, and a disposition to seek pardon and cleansing." (Berkhof, Systematic Theology, 486)

Notice in 2 Timothy 2:25 that repentance is a gift from God.

BB

thorndale

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2019, 08:31:30 am »
Thanks, Your reply is very interesting but raises a few questions for me?

In all your quotes by Peter, correct me if I am missing something but in every case, something else is required for the forgiveness of sin? Baptism etc?

Paul preaches that for the forgiveness of sin the requirement is faith + nothing?

Regarding belief for salvation, your example was repentance which is a far greater requirement than just belief?  My understanding is that during the age of law which preceded the age of grace, In most cases just faith was sufficient for salvation? An example could be that Abram was saved by faith and Peter by belief that Jesus was the Christ, the Messiah? The death and Resurrection was intentionally hidden from them?

Fat

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2019, 10:47:00 am »

John

Hi John,

“Many will say to Me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?’”
MATTHEW‬ 7:22‬ NASB‬‬

And as to your question to BB, what is the baptism given by Christ?

Hal

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2019, 11:34:27 am »
Thanks, Your reply is very interesting but raises a few questions for me?

In all your quotes by Peter, correct me if I am missing something but in every case, something else is required for the forgiveness of sin? Baptism etc?

Paul preaches that for the forgiveness of sin the requirement is faith + nothing?

Regarding belief for salvation, your example was repentance which is a far greater requirement than just belief?  My understanding is that during the age of law which preceded the age of grace, In most cases just faith was sufficient for salvation? An example could be that Abram was saved by faith and Peter by belief that Jesus was the Christ, the Messiah? The death and Resurrection was intentionally hidden from them?

Baptism is not a function of the person being baptized, even water baptism is a function of a third party. The only thing the water baptize satisfies is “that if you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved;”ROMANS‬ 10:9‬ NASB‬‬. Even though I believe that Paul was telling us never to deny Christ. Even those that can’t speak can be saved. If water baptism was required for salvation a person surrounded by only non believers could never be saved. Salvation is the work of the Holy Spirit.

JB Horn

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2019, 03:46:54 pm »

Two Gospels

The Apostle Peter’s and The Apostle Paul’s

by Steve Santini

In the development of the first century church there were two gospels. The first gospel was that of the apostle Peter and the eleven other apostles. The second gospel was that of the apostle Paul and others who were, in time, raised up to teach this gospel with Paul. It seems to this author that the simplest and most effective manner in which to communicate this subject is to list corresponding differences in these two gospels with a concluding commentary.

Peter’s gospel was a reiteration of all Jesus said and did while in the world. It is supported by the Holy Spirit through its gift to the souls of those who believe.
Paul’s gospel was a revelation through the Spirit of Christ from the ascended Lord seated at the right hand of the Father.

Peter’s gospel is a continuation from the beginning when man was made a living soul.
Paul’s gospel has its beginnings before the foundations of the world in the generation of the mystery of the Spirit of Christ. (This Spirit of Christ was known as the Spirit of Truth in John's gospel.)

Peter’s gospel comes from his acquired faith.
Paul’s gospel comes from his gifted inherent faith.

Peter’s gospel is from the Holy Spirit comforter.
Paul’s gospel is from the subsequent Spirit of Truth comforter.

Peter’s gospel is the foundation for the household of God.
Paul’s gospel is the edifice of the household of God.

Peter’s gospel holds the keys to the kingdom of God.
Paul’s gospel reveals the kingdom of God.

Peter’s gospel is one of entrance.
Paul’s gospel is one of establishment.

Peter’s gospel begins in spiritual power.
Paul’s gospel ends in spiritual understanding.

Peter’s gospel ministers to the children coming into the family of God.
Paul’s gospel brings the family of God unto maturity.

Paul was a saint
Peter became one faithful in Christ Jesus

Peter’s gospel raised Paul up unto the revelation from Jesus Christ. Peter’s foundational gospel was preached by Paul when he first went into a new area to establish a church. Before Peter completely relinquished his misdirected loyalty to Jewish supremacy in the church, he resisted Paul’s revelation where there was no difference between Jew and Gentile. Paul’s gospel was never preached by Peter. In his last epistle written near the end of his life, Peter acknowledged the validity of Paul’s gospel by stating Paul had written the same things yet in a different manner.

In Paul’s ministration these two gospels came together as the one contiguous gospel for the growth of the household of God.

Commentary: In the epistle to the Ephesians, Paul makes evident the sources of these two gospels. In Ephesians 2:20 he writes to the faithful in Christ Jesus:

And (ye) are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone.

Then in Ephesians 3:4,5 he writes:

Whereby when you read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ, which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets.

Paul used words very purposefully. Notice this difference between verses 2:20 and 3:5. The foundation came from apostles and prophets while the mystery was revealed to “holy” apostles and prophets. There is a difference between “apostles and prophets” and “holy apostles and prophets.” Understanding this difference leads to the revelation of the great mystery given to the apostle Paul.

thorndale

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2019, 09:26:41 am »
I respect your opinion and research into the question about the Gospels of Peter and Paul. I agree that they were two different Gospels, my question is that you make no mention that......

For me and simply stated..............

Peter preached the Gospel combined with the Law ( The age of the law and the Jewish only believers ) since he was a Jew and steeped in the law! The death and resurrection of Jesus and the finished work of the cross, for God's own reason, was originally kept hidden from Peter and the Apostles. Peters Gospel was for Jews only until His encounter with Cornelius, a Gentile and Cornelius family and friends.

Paul on the other hand preached a Gospel for all people including Jews and Gentiles as revealed to Him in Arabia, the Gospel of Grace! ( The age of Grace and the Church as started in Antioch, AKA the Bride of Christ ) Paul's Gospel was mainly the birth, death & resurrection of Jesus and the finished work of Jesus on the cross! Salvation was based on Faith in this + nothing!

Maybe you agree and I just missed it?

A brother in Christ
John

JB Horn

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 05:44:03 pm »
I respect your opinion and research into the question about the Gospels of Peter and Paul. I agree that they were two different Gospels, my question is that you make no mention that......

For me and simply stated..............

Peter preached the Gospel combined with the Law ( The age of the law and the Jewish only believers ) since he was a Jew and steeped in the law! The death and resurrection of Jesus and the finished work of the cross, for God's own reason, was originally kept hidden from Peter and the Apostles. Peters Gospel was for Jews only until His encounter with Cornelius, a Gentile and Cornelius family and friends.

Paul on the other hand preached a Gospel for all people including Jews and Gentiles as revealed to Him in Arabia, the Gospel of Grace! ( The age of Grace and the Church as started in Antioch, AKA the Bride of Christ ) Paul's Gospel was mainly the birth, death & resurrection of Jesus and the finished work of Jesus on the cross! Salvation was based on Faith in this + nothing!

Maybe you agree and I just missed it?

A brother in Christ
John

Brother John,

One gospel, preached to two peoples. GRACE
John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." And just to make it more confusing, John 6:65. And He(Jesus) was saying, "For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father."

It is all about Grace, Paul put it best in Ephesians:

Ephesians 1:4. just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love
5. He predestined us to adoption as sons through Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the kind intention of His will,
6. to the praise of the glory of His grace, which He freely bestowed on us in the Beloved.
7. In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of His grace

Peter and the Apostles preached the Good News in a deferent way then Paul but the audiences must come to the same conclusion. There is no salvation in the law or in mans works.

There are many churches today but few are chosen for the wedding feast.  Matthew 22:14.

In His Service
JB