Author Topic: Who is Melchizedek?  (Read 2043 times)

Zant Law

• ZLaw
Who is Melchizedek?
« on: January 30, 2013, 02:27:07 pm »
So who is Melchizedek? We know little of Him but here are a few of the insights scriptures give us.

Gen. 14
18 Then Melchizedek, king of Salem, brought out bread and wine; he was a priest to God Most High.
19 He blessed him and said: Abram is blessed by God Most High, Creator of heaven and earth,
20 and give praise to God Most High who has handed over your enemies to you. And Abram gave him a tenth of everything.

Hebrews 7:1 For this Melchizedek- King of Salem, priest of the Most High God, who met Abraham and blessed him as he returned from defeating the kings,
2 and Abraham gave him a tenth of everything; first, his name means "king of righteousness," then also, "king of Salem," meaning "king of peace";
3 without father, mother, or genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but resembling the Son of God- remains a priest forever.
4 Now consider how great this man was, to whom even Abraham the patriarch gave a tenth of the plunder!

biblebuf

Re: Who is Melchizedek?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 11:45:56 am »
without father, mother, or genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but resembling the Son of God- remains a priest forever.

My guess it is Christ before He received the a flesh and blood body. Before the incarnation.

Angels are not priest but messengers.

Zant Law

• ZLaw
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 11:40:48 pm »
My guess it is Christ before He received the a flesh and blood body. Before the incarnation.

Angels are not priest but messengers.

Problem with that is that we are told that Christ was from the order of Melchizedek. That would be like saying Christ is from the order of Christ.

Hebrews 5:10 CSB
and He was declared by God a high priest "in the order of Melchizedek."
Hebrews 6:20 CSB
Jesus has entered there on our behalf as a forerunner, because He has become a "high priest forever in the order of Melchizedek."
Hebrews 7:11 CSB
[A Superior Priesthood] If, then, perfection came through the Levitical priesthood (for under it the people received the law), what further need was there for another priest to arise in the order of Melchizedek, and not to be described as being in the order of Aaron?

biblebuf

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:36:57 am »
One other thing that points to it being Christ, the King of Salem. Every bible dictionary that I have seen says Salem is Jerusalem. Now who is the king of Jerusalem?

Zant Law

• ZLaw
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 01:30:07 pm »
One other thing that points to it being Christ, the King of Salem. Every bible dictionary that I have seen says Salem is Jerusalem. Now who is the king of Jerusalem?

Strong's Number:   8004
Salem = "peace"

King of Peace not the Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6 NAS
For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders ; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

So Melchizedek is not the Prince of Peace but the King of Peace Who is He?

Fat

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2013, 01:47:02 pm »
Strong's Number:   8004
Salem = "peace"

King of Peace not the Prince of Peace.

Isaiah 9:6 NAS
For a child will be born to us, a son will be given to us; And the government will rest on His shoulders ; And His name will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Eternal Father, Prince of Peace.

So Melchizedek is not the Prince of Peace but the King of Peace Who is He?

Hello Law, This is where the belief of the Trinity makes the Bible work.

clark thompson

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 03:39:29 pm »
I think He may have been God. I can also see the fact that some might think he is an angel though.