Bible Talk > Bible Study

John 17:3- Who is the God of Jesus Christ?

<< < (12/13) > >>

Xuan:

--- Quote from: theMadJW on April 28, 2013, 08:57:42 am ---Isaiah 44:24 This is what Jehovah has said, your Repurchaser and the Former of you from the belly: “I, Jehovah, am doing everything, stretching out the heavens by myself, laying out the earth. Who was with me?

So He was by Himself or maybe not.

He was talking to Israel- who knew NOTHING about God having a son- and was comparing Himself to all the false gods they were starting to worship, believing that THEY had made all things. Your church teaches you NOTHING...
--- End quote ---

Job 9:8 teaches that God alone created everything, and the context does not have to do with false gods being worshiped.

Xuan:

--- Quote from: theMadJW on April 27, 2013, 03:06:22 pm ---John 17:3- And this is eternal life, that they know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom thou hast sent.

--- End quote ---

In the New World Translation it reads that the Lord Jesus is our only owner and Lord. (the underlined is mine)
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/l/r1/lp-e?q=Jude+4

But then in 2 Timothy 2:21 the Jehovah's Witnesses affirm that Jehovah is our owner.
2 Timothy 2:21
So if anyone keeps clear of the latter ones, he will be an instrument for an honorable use, sanctified, useful to his owner, prepared for every good work.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/l/r1/lp-e?q=2+Timothy+2%3A21

ACCEPT MOLDING BY JEHOVAH
15. To what extent would you like to be molded by Jehovah? Illustrate.
15 With the help of Jehovah’s worldwide congregation, we may become aware of Bible principles that deal with a specific course. For instance, we might know how we ought to respond if a brother seems to rub us the wrong way. (Eph. 4:32) We might admit that the Bible’s counsel is right and wise. Yet, what kind of clay will we prove to be? Will we really respond to being molded by Jehovah? If our heart is malleable, we will change for the better; the Great Potter will mold us into a vessel more suitable for his use. (Read Romans 9:20, 21; 2 Timothy 2:20, 21.) Rather than show a heart attitude like that of Jehoiakim or the slave owners in Zedekiah’s day, we should accept being molded by Jehovah for an honorable purpose.
https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1102010143

To Whom does the only owner in heaven refer to? Jehovah (2 Timothy 2:21) or to the Lord Jesus (Jude 1:4)?

Fat:
Hello Xuan

I have a question that I cannot get the JWs to answer.

They claim that Christ is a lesser and separate God In the NWT John 1:1. But they have a problem explaining other scripture using that interpretation, for instance, “And Jesus said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good except God alone.” Mark‬ 10:18‬ NASB‬

What they must believe  is that their savior is not good.

When ask about this they say that Mark 10:18 reads the same in the KJV. But they cannot understand that it revolves around their mistranslation of John 1. By putting an “a” before God and using a low case “g” they have made themselves a savior that Christ would not have you call “good “.

Xuan:
Hello Fat,

That is an excellent point.

That the Lord Jesus asked why He was being called "good" does not necessitate a denial. I'll give an example as to why it isn't a denial based on what I experienced many times when I first began teaching English in South Korea (1995). Oftentimes when children would see me they would say, "Miguk saram imnida!" meaning "You are an American!" However, they did this to many foreigners who happened to be Caucasian. Had I been able to speak Korean to them I would have asked them, "Why do you call me an American?" or "What makes you say that I am an American?" In both questions I am simply asking them the reason why they are calling me an American, but nowhere am I denying that I am an American (to which I am).

The absolute holiness of the Father and the absolute holiness of the Lord Jesus.
Matthew 6:9
Pray, then, in this way: Our Father who is in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. (NASB)
1 Peter 3:15
but sanctify Christ as Lord in your hearts, always being ready to make a defense to everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you, yet with gentleness and reverence. (NASB)
The Greek word for "Hallowed" in Matthew 6:9 is hagiazō and it is the same word used in reference to the Lord Jesus in 1 Peter 3:15 for "sanctify." Just as the Father is to be worshiped because of His absolute holiness so too the Lord Jesus is to be worshiped because of His absolute holiness.

G. W. Blenkin: Christians are to treat the indwelling presence of Christ, as Lord and Master in their hearts, as a kind of sacred shrine which must never be surrendered or profaned by cowardly fears or inconsistent conduct...In Isaiah the words are merely “Sanctify Jehovah.” The constant transference to Christ of language referring to Jehovah in the O.T. is one indication of the full Divinity ascribed to Christ by N.T. writers. (1 Peter, Cambridge Greek Testament for Schools and Colleges)
http://www.studylight.org/commentaries/cgt/1-peter-3.html

Xuan:

--- Quote from: theMadJW on April 30, 2013, 08:19:38 am ---No one here knows who the God of Jesus Christ is?

SHOCKING! heh

--- End quote ---

It's not shocking that the Father refers to the Lord Jesus as "God" in Hebrews 1:8 and the Lord Jesus refers to the Father as "God" in John 6:27.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version