Bible Talk > Sound doctrine

Who teaches sound doctrine?

<< < (3/7) > >>

Jack Koons:
As I review Biblical and church history, I never see the leadership of any mainstream "Christian" church follow sound doctrine. I believe the reason for this, rests in the fact that most of the leadership starts out good in a small church that at one time did preach the true gospel; then the young man goes to Bible college and gets his doctrine tweaked in order to "align" with one of the mainstream beliefs.

"Some easy target to show my point.
Christians should be clean shaven - bible ref please
Christians should wear a tie/suit  - bible ref please
How many overweight preaches preach against smoking and drinking in moderation but gluttony which is actually mentioned in the bible - never (drunkenness is a different issue) ref I do not smoke or drink..BUT it is not because it is a biblical issue but a personal one."

Beards are actually addressed in the Bible, just to the opposite of what people say. The problem is, as soon as the verses are mentioned, you hear, "That was under the Law". People should really understand what Paul meant by "under the  Law", before using the phrase.

No suits and ties are not mentioned in the Bible, but I believe that since we are representing the King of kings, it can't hurt to look our best.

Gluttony, smoking, and drinking, I don't think we need to debate something that obvious. I will admit, I am a bit over weight, (the older I get the harder it is not to gain weight) but not in any major way. (I am no where near qualifying for 'the biggest loser'.)

How can we have sound doctrine when we have watered down Bibles?

Jack

michaelf:

--- Quote from: Jack Koons on July 02, 2013, 10:14:29 am ---How can we have sound doctrine when we have watered down Bibles?

--- End quote ---

Might be the wrong place for this but I would like to address this comment.
Firstly with the exception of the original Greek I acknowledged the KJV is the best translation
HOWEVER

illustration from my church
We have people our church (loggers) who did not get to high school.  Reading age 10-12 - can deal with road signs as they can recognize them.
Expecting them to read KJV ....words fail me. There are some passages I find difficult (I have an IT uni degree)

There are some worthless translations out there but there are some OK ones too.

I think you will find fisherman were fairly simple in bible days (big hello to all the fishermen out there!!)

We need to be careful not to consider more scholarly Christians more Godly then the more simple ones(And if you want truck engine fixed these guy can do it before breakfast I do not have a clue so who is the smart one anyway)

superfluity - ??
against does not mean against as we know it   Genesis 43:25 When this type of thing happens it is worse then a word I know that i do not know because it leads to miss understandings
apothecary - no idea - i can look it up others do not have that option

Just to name a few

Now a church without a full time pastor like ours it really is a problem.

Just saying

Attach blindfold,  Tie me to the post, prepare to shoot  I am ready

Jack Koons:
2 Tim 2:
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

About 25 years ago a man told me, "Outside of the classroom, what every student of God needs is, a King James Bible, a Strong's Concordance, and a Noah Webster 1828 Dictionary". I took the advice, and it has served me well.

Moss:

--- Quote from: michaelf ---Might be the wrong place for this but I would like to address this comment.
Firstly with the exception of the original Greek I acknowledged the KJV is the best translation
HOWEVER
--- End quote ---

Disagree but that's another tread.  ;D

--- Quote from: michaelf ---There are some worthless translations out there but there are some OK ones too.

I think you will find fisherman were fairly simple in bible days (big hello to all the fishermen out there!!)

We need to be careful not to consider more scholarly Christians more Godly then the more simple ones(And if you want truck engine fixed these guy can do it before breakfast I do not have a clue so who is the smart one anyway)

--- End quote ---

Amen.

calluna:

--- Quote from: Jack Koons on July 04, 2013, 11:11:20 am ---2 Tim 2:
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

--- End quote ---

Making divisions in the word of truth sounds like what the devil would like done to it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version