Fat

Fideism
« on: July 08, 2013, 11:11:35 pm »
Fideism

Webster- Merrian
Definition of FIDEISM
: reliance on faith rather than reason in pursuit of religious truth

Encyclopedia Britannica
fideism- a philosophical view extolling theological faith by making it the ultimate criterion of truth and minimizing the power of reason to know religious truths. Strict fideists assign no place to reason in discovering or understanding fundamental tenets of religion. For them blind faith is supreme as the way to certitude and salvation.

Alvin Plantinga has noted that fideism can be defined as an “exclusive or basic reliance upon faith alone, accompanied by a consequent disparagement of reason and utilized especially in the pursuit of philosophical or religious truth”

From Wikipedia
Fideism is an epistemolo
gical theory which maintains that faith is independent of reason, or that reason and faith are hostile to each other and faith is superior at arriving at particular truths (see natural theology). The word fideism comes from fides, the Latin word for faith, and literally means "faith-ism."

Internet
Fideism is the idea that religious faith and reason are incompatible with each other. It is the view that religious faith is separate from reason and cannot be reconciled with it. According to fideism, faith involves a degree of absolute certainty and personal commitment that goes beyond what can be rationally justified.

Moss

Re: Fideism
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 04:35:55 pm »
I think it is impossible for a human being to take away their senses. There is so much evidence of God's majesty all around us that has to be adding to our faith. Can you deny what you see?

Fat

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2013, 08:51:54 pm »
I think it is impossible for a human being to take away their senses. There is so much evidence of God's majesty all around us that has to be adding to our faith. Can you deny what you see?

I think you're absolutely right, you cannot deny the evidence that is put before your eyes. But how about the resurrection? Even though we have written evidence of this it still takes a large amount of faith to truly believe. I believe this faith is given to us as part of God's grace. Anyway I don't buy this whole thing of fideism, I have seen miracles that show me that God does exist. Can I just ignore these, of course not it's impossible.

JB Horn

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 10:39:17 pm »
Fideism (part of revealed theology) is just one end of the spectrum, the other end is something called Natural Theology. Natural theology states that the existence of God can be demonstrated or argued on the basis of human reason alone. These are two ends of the spectrum, and in anything like this there is a middle which seems to make much more sense than the two extremes.

Natural theology is a branch of theology, which attempts to establish truths by reason without recourse to revelation. The division of theology into revealed theology and natural theology is derived from the distinction between two kinds of truth in scholasticism, natural and revealed, and two corresponding epistemological methods; natural truth is accessible by the use of reason, and revealed truth is given through revelation. Natural theology is a continuation of one of these theological discourses. Deism, a movement which tried to establish religious truth by reason alone, emerged in the eighteenth century.

JB

Fat

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 09:53:57 am »
Fideism (part of revealed theology) is just one end of the spectrum, the other end is something called Natural Theology. Natural theology states that the existence of God can be demonstrated or argued on the basis of human reason alone. These are two ends of the spectrum, and in anything like this there is a middle which seems to make much more sense than the two extremes.

JB

Natural theology is a branch of theology, which attempts to establish truths by reason without recourse to revelation.

I have never thought of faith as a revelation. I don't know if they are the same.

JB Horn

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 08:56:17 am »
I have never thought of faith as a revelation. I don't know if they are the same.

Doesn't it take a revelation from God to cause you to believe in something that none of your senses can detect?
I do agree that we stand in the majesty of God's work and I can't see how that can be denied by anyone.