Author Topic: Can a Christian hate  (Read 2835 times)

Zant Law

• ZLaw
Can a Christian hate
« on: July 24, 2013, 08:52:46 am »

Ye have heard that it was said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy: but I say unto you, love your enemies, and pray for them that persecute you; (Matthew 5:43, 44 ASV)

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. (John 8:7 KJV)

The above verses are used in our society to justify a person's lifestyle. They are constantly used in the church in the debate, for instance, of homosexual marriage or abortion.

Many Christians lose sight that it is not the person that is to be hated but the sin or the act of sin that is to be hated.

Hate evil, you who love the Lord, Who preserves the souls of His godly ones; He delivers them from the hand of the wicked. (Psalms 97:10 NASB)

calluna

Re: Can a Christian hate
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 09:01:07 am »

Ye have heard that it was said, Thou shalt love thy neighbor, and hate thine enemy: but I say unto you, love your enemies, and pray for them that persecute you; (Matthew 5:43, 44 ASV)

So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her. (John 8:7 KJV)

The above verses are used in our society to justify a person's lifestyle. They are constantly used in the church in the debate, for instance, of homosexual marriage or abortion.

Many Christians lose sight that it is not the person that is to be hated but the sin or the act of sin that is to be hated.

Who are you to say so?

Zant Law

• ZLaw
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 09:23:47 am »
Who are you to say so?

Zant Law, with 68 years of observation.

biblebuf

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 09:44:16 am »
Prov 8:13; Amos 5:15; Rom 12:9; Ps 34:14

calluna

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 10:23:22 am »
Zant Law, with 68 years of observation.

Only a halfwit would take that as an adequate reply.

calluna

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2013, 10:40:38 am »

'"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbour and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven, because he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."'

How is this comment used in the worldly church to justify homosexual 'marriage' or abortion?

'John 8:7' is not Scripture (and cannot be), so, while it is frequently used to 'justify' evil practices, such error and abuse is pointed out by the competent.

Zant Law

• ZLaw
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2013, 11:33:49 am »
Only a halfwit would take that as an adequate reply.

I don't really care if you accept  it or not.

Zant Law

• ZLaw
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2013, 12:14:58 pm »
'"You have heard that it was said, 'You shall love your neighbour and hate your enemy.' But I say to you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be children of your Father in heaven, because he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the righteous and on the unrighteous. If you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers and sisters, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect."'

How is this comment used in the worldly church to justify homosexual 'marriage' or abortion?

'John 8:7' is not Scripture (and cannot be), so, while it is frequently used to 'justify' evil practices, such error and abuse is pointed out by the competent.

What does the dispute over the authenticity of John 8 have to do with the fact it is being used?

calluna

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2013, 12:18:03 pm »
I don't really care if you accept  it or not.

Nothing you write can be proved.  ;)

calluna

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2013, 12:20:30 pm »
What does the dispute over the authenticity of John 8

Dispute. Oh dear.

michaelf

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2013, 03:22:47 pm »
Malachi 1:3 - "And I hated Esau, and laid his mountains and his heritage waste for the dragons of the wilderness."
So God Hated some people
there we can too But the reason might not be valid

clark thompson

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 05:26:35 pm »
Christians will not hate but sometimes show tough love to win people to Christ. The truth sometimes hurts and the truth is to be told to show love even if they do not like the truth.

Zant Law

• ZLaw
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 05:46:32 pm »
Christians will not hate but sometimes show tough love to win people to Christ. The truth sometimes hurts and the truth is to be told to show love even if they do not like the truth.

I wish more parents understood that. It's good advice on how to raise a child.

michaelf

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2013, 03:38:47 am »
psa 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

God hates some people .

What God declares he hates we should too.

Zant Law

• ZLaw
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2013, 08:20:43 am »
psa 5:5 The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity.

God hates some people .

What God declares he hates we should too.

But isn't the kind of hate Ps 5:5 talking about more of an ex-communion with those workers of evil?

matthew 7:22-23
Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?  And then will I profess unto them , I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Isn't the lesson for us to not allow them to be closely yoked with us?

2 Corinthians 6:14 KJV
Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?