Author Topic: Peace Like a River  (Read 1341 times)

Fat

Peace Like a River
« on: October 12, 2013, 10:15:41 pm »

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:7

The believer’s peace is like a river for continuance. Look at it, rising as a little brook among the mosses of the lone green hill. By and by it leaps as a rugged cataract; then it flows along that fair valley where the red deer wanders and the child loves to play. With hum of pleasant music the brook turns the village mill. Listen to its changing tune as it ripples over its pebbly bed or leaps down the wheel, or sports in eddies where the trees bend down their branches to kiss the current. Soon the small stream has become a river, and bears upon its flood full many a craft. Then its bosom swells, bridges with noble arches span it, and, grown vaster still, it becomes an estuary, broad enough to be an arm of old Father Ocean, pouring its water-floods into the mighty main. The river endures the lapse of ages; it is no evanescent morning cloud or transient rain flood, but in all its stages it is permanent.
Men may come, and men may go,
But I flow on forever.
Forevermore, throughout all generations, the river speeds to its destined place. Such is the peace of the Christian. He always has reason for comfort. He has not a consolation like a swollen torrent that is dried up under the hot sun of adversity, but peace is his rightful possession at all times. You shall discover the noble river when it mirrors the stars or sends back the sheen of the moon. You may see its waves in the hour of tempest by the lightning’s flash, as well as in the day of calm when the sun shines brightly on them. The river is always in its place. And in the same way, come night, come day, come sickness, come health, come what will, the peace of God that passes all understanding will keep the Christian’s heart and mind through Jesus Christ.

Charles Haddon Spurgeon

macuser

Re: Peace Like a River
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 05:57:18 pm »
I don't think I'd use a river as analogy because I've seen some mighty rough violent rivers.
 :)

Fat

Re: Peace Like a River
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, 02:40:10 pm »
I don't think I'd use a river as analogy because I've seen some mighty rough violent rivers.
 :)

The same thing went through my mind, but I figured the rivers in England must be a lot slower than what we have around here.   :o