Author Topic: Repentance is not temporary.  (Read 1161 times)

Fat

Repentance is not temporary.
« on: February 10, 2014, 10:10:57 am »
“Repentance grows as faith grows. Do not make any mistake about it; repentance is not a thing of days and weeks, a temporary penance to be got over as fast as possible! No; it is the grace of a lifetime, like faith itself. God's little children repent, and so do the young men and the fathers. Repentance is the inseparable companion of faith.”
― Charles H. Spurgeon

Moss

Re: Repentance is not temporary.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 02:16:14 pm »
On its face a self inflicted punishment (penance) is not repentance. Repentance requires a changing of the mind and attitude of the sinner, accompanied with a lifestyle change.
It is noted that the word penance is commonly translated from repent and some of the older translations of the Bible.

Matthew 3:2 WYC
and said, Do ye penance, for the kingdom of heavens shall approach.
Matthew 3:2 RHE
And saying: Do penance: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

KJV
2 And saying , Repent ye : for the kingdom of heaven is at hand

NAS
2 "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand."

NIV
2 and saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is near."

clark thompson

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 03:28:59 pm »
Repentance is to be a normal part of the Christian walk.

timf

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 08:53:54 am »
The word repent is metanoeō and means have a change of mind. The Jews were called to have a change of mind on the basis of the Old Testament promises of the Kingdom and turn from their de-facto secularism so that they would be ready to receive their King. Christians are called to repent (have a change of mind) on the basis of the indwelling Spirit of truth.

The word "repent" in English carries with it much of the imagery of the Catholic sacrament of penance. It is often used as "feel real sorry", "try really hard to do better" or even "be punished". It carries a large measure of human effort of what could be called "the flesh".

There is a common view of the Christian life that we whip ourselves for failure as a prod on to make ourselves better or do good. This picture has too much "self" in it. The danger of the flesh is that we can end up like the Pharisees.

Luke 18:9-13  And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:   Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.   The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.   I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.   And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.

I see God as less interested in our bringing our triumphs before him than our failures.

Moss

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 09:45:53 am »
Hi Tim

I agree with you, it seems to be a no brainier to me. But yet English translators in some of the old translations, like the Pharisees, got it wrong. Christ preached repentance for forgiveness not penance. Penance is a work not of grace. IMHO

Luke 24:46 He also said to them, "This is what is written: the Messiah would suffer and rise from the dead the third day, 47 and repentance for forgiveness of sins would be proclaimed in His name to all the nations, beginning at Jerusalem.