Author Topic: Is supersessionism / replacement theology Biblical?  (Read 19623 times)

Zant Law

• ZLaw
Re: What is so bad about replacement theology?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 10:19:08 am »
I would add to your second point, or Diprose's second point, they have to completely ignore major portions of both the OT and NT. If you ever get the time you would find it interesting to read the history of replacement theology.

You have to ignore a lot of things like the return to the PROMISE LAND 1948.

Law

savedbymercy

Re: Is supersessionism / replacement theology Biblical?
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2012, 04:53:29 pm »
Salvation Limited to Israel

Here are some more scriptures that set forth the particular nature of salvation from types..

In looking forward to the work of the cross and its accomplishments and its attending blessings, and to who they applied, we have this in Zech 12:10

10And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Notice here to whom the spiritual blessings of repentance was to be poured out to..

Not everyone in the whole wide world, but to the house of David and the inhabitants of jerusalem..

The Jerusalem here is not the city in Israel, but the jerusalem from above:

Gal 4:12

But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother of us all.

Heb 12:23

But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

Zech 12 is describing their conversion because of the power and blessings of the cross..

Notice it says the house of David ! The House of David or the Tabernacle of David includes the gentiles..

This we see Acts 15:14-16

14Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.

15And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,

16After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:

The gentiles are called the tabernacle of David, intimating the mystery that Paul fully taught about in His Ministry, but we see here that the apostle James had somewhat been enlightened of the scripture, for he quotes Amos 9:11-12

11In that day will I raise up the tabernacle of David that is fallen, and close up the breaches thereof; and I will raise up his ruins, and I will build it as in the days of old:

12That they may possess the remnant of Edom, and of all the heathen, which are called by my name, saith the LORD that doeth this.

And he of course applies this to the out calling of a people from amongst the gentiles to be a people for Gods name sake..The LORD GOD OF ISRAEL..

Zech 13:1

1In that day there shall be a fountain opened to the house of David and to the inhabitants of Jerusalem for sin and for uncleanness.

Again, particularly pointing out to whom the fountain was open to..that cleanses from sin and uncleaness [the blood of christ] it was not to or for all mankind, but for the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the house of David.

These designations indicate Gods elect apart from the other inhabitants of the world..

So God has always kept a particular discriminate people to whom He deals with favorably, over and above other people..and its by His grace alone..

Zant Law

• ZLaw
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2012, 06:57:02 pm »
10And I will pour upon the house of David, and upon the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the spirit of grace and of supplications: and they shall look upon me whom they have pierced, and they shall mourn for him, as one mourneth for his only son, and shall be in bitterness for him, as one that is in bitterness for his firstborn.

Notice here to whom the spiritual blessings of repentance was to be poured out to..

Not everyone in the whole wide world, but to the house of David and the inhabitants of jerusalem..

The Jerusalem here is not the city in Israel, but the jerusalem from above:

Now that is a real stretch. I read no limitations of His grace to Jerusalem in this scripture.

9 "And in that day I will set about to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. 10 "I will pour out on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem, the Spirit of grace and of supplication, so that they will look on Me whom they have pierced ; and they will mourn for Him, as one mourns for an only son, and they will weep bitterly over Him like the bitter weeping over a firstborn. 11 "In that day there will be great mourning in Jerusalem, like the mourning of Hadadrimmon in the plain of Megiddo.

When we look at the verse in context we see that it can only be a place. We see that verse 9 referrers back to Joel 3. Is the Church going to go into mourning? No of course not, exactly the opposite.

Supersessionism was invented by the church of Rome because there was no Israel for 1900 years and the people of little faith could not imagine that it could ever return, so they had to come up with a way justify the prophecy in the Scriptures.

theseldomscene

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2013, 10:34:27 pm »
well, as far as replacement theology and the book of romans...
from personal study, rom 12 speaking of all isreal being saved with the fullness of the gentiles coming in, possibly indicates that the promise is to all born of israel but jews who don't believe and die, then reincarnate into gentiles who will...thus all israel is saved.

thoughts?(ducks for cover)

Fat

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2013, 11:45:14 pm »
well, as far as replacement theology and the book of romans...
from personal study, rom 12 speaking of all isreal being saved with the fullness of the gentiles coming in, possibly indicates that the promise is to all born of israel but jews who don't believe and die, then reincarnate into gentiles who will...thus all israel is saved.

thoughts?(ducks for cover)

You mean Rom 11  :) I know your testing to see if we are paying attention.

God will not go back on His promises to Jew or Gentile. But reincarnate into gentiles, NOT.

Moss

« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2013, 04:38:33 pm »
What you are really talking about here is taking Israel, as defined in the Old Testament, and superimposing the New Testament over it. The trouble you have here is that you leave no room for the return of Israel, as prophesied in the Old Testament, and even the New Testament. You are also removing the Old Testament from Canon, making it illegitimate in today's world.

Let's face it, replacement theology came about because people prior to 1948, had the fear that Israel was not going to return. The church was starting to panic believing that the return of Israel was a false prophecy. What replacement theology shows is a weakness in disbelief or unbelief of man in God's word.

Zant Law

• ZLaw
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2013, 05:29:50 pm »
What you are really talking about here is taking Israel, as defined in the Old Testament, and superimposing the New Testament over it. The trouble you have here is that you leave no room for the return of Israel, as prophesied in the Old Testament, and even the New Testament. You are also removing the Old Testament from Canon, making it illegitimate in today's world.

Let's face it, replacement theology came about because people prior to 1948, had the fear that Israel was not going to return. The church was starting to panic believing that the return of Israel was a false prophecy. What replacement theology shows is a weakness in disbelief or unbelief of man in God's word.

Look at it this way Moss, if you like your plan you can keep your plan, period!  ;)

Hal

« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2018, 11:13:58 am »
I heard this being preached on TV and was amazed that it had a large following. I wonder if these people believe in the rapture of the church followed by the seven years of tribulation?
Who would be in the tribulation and worship at the new temple?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2018, 01:23:25 pm by Hal »

Fat

« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 05:20:48 pm »
I heard this being preached on TV and was amazed that it had a large following. I wonder if these people believe in the rapture of the church followed by the seven years of tribulation?
Who would be in the tribulation and worship at the new temple?

Hal,These people don't ask themselves such questions. The glom on to out of context Scripture that supports their worldview and are blind to anything else written in the Scriptures.

When the apostles asked Christ why he used parables He replied that its meanings were meant for only those that could understand. The best example that I can think of somebody that has been blinded to the truth is Satan. He knows the Scriptures and he knows what the end result is going to be but he refuses to believe it. He apparently could not see the prophecy of Christ in the crucifixion, and he entered Judas and caused Judas to carry out the plans of God. Satan was as blind as the Jews, as to the nature and mission of the Messiah.

Hal

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2018, 02:29:18 pm »
Hal,These people don't ask themselves such questions. The glom on to out of context Scripture that supports their worldview and are blind to anything else written in the Scriptures.

When the apostles asked Christ why he used parables He replied that its meanings were meant for only those that could understand. The best example that I can think of somebody that has been blinded to the truth is Satan. He knows the Scriptures and he knows what the end result is going to be but he refuses to believe it. He apparently could not see the prophecy of Christ in the crucifixion, and he entered Judas and caused Judas to carry out the plans of God. Satan was as blind as the Jews, as to the nature and mission of the Messiah.

Satan invented Death and Taxes, he can't be too smart.

Iconoclast

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2018, 08:21:31 pm »
Who teaches replacement theology?

macuser

« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2018, 10:03:44 pm »
Who teaches replacement theology?

COR, LDS, JW’s, SDA, and a bunch of others.
https://amos37.com/replacement-denominations/

Iconoclast

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2018, 02:43:43 pm »
Do you understand that Israel speaks of 5 things in scripture?

macuser

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2018, 04:52:17 pm »
Do you understand that Israel speaks of 5 things in scripture?
Do you understand that replacement theology has nothing to do with Scripture? In fact replacement theology teaches against Scripture, it teaches that the Lord cannot be trusted to keep his promises.

Iconoclast

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2018, 08:16:01 am »
Do you understand that replacement theology has nothing to do with Scripture? In fact replacement theology teaches against Scripture, it teaches that the Lord cannot be trusted to keep his promises.

I think you do not understand Redemptive History.

What about saints who lived before Israel was a nation?

Gentiles were "grafted into the olive tree"....they did not replace it, God did a new thing...It is not replacing, but fulfilling....you miss that entirely.