Bible Talk > Apologetics

Proof: You were only forgiven of your past sins!

(1/6) > >>

BCsenior:
At the moment you were born-again …
you were only forgiven of the sins you had committed up to that point in time!

“For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness,
and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his OLD sins.
Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call
and election sure, for IF you do these things you will never stumble;
for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting
kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” (2 Peter 1:9-11, NKJV)
“OLD sins” is also in the KJV, RSV, NLT, AMP

“having forgotten his purification from his FORMER sins.” (2 Peter 1:9, NASB)
“FORMER sins” is also in the ESV

“forgetting that they have been cleansed from their PAST sins.” (2 Peter 1:9, NIV)
“PAST sins” is also in the HCSB

Now for some confirming NT passages …

Paul wrote this to the Corinthian church concerning his words of rebuke
in 1 Corinthians that he had sent to them concerning some particular sin(s).
They really needed to be sorrowful and repent.

“… the pain (from his rebuke) caused you to repent and change your ways.       
It was the kind of sorrow God wants His people to have, so you were not
harmed by us in any way.  For the kind of sorrow God wants us to experience
leads us away from sin and results in salvation. … worldly sorrow, which lacks
repentance, results in spiritual (eternal) death.” (2 Corinthians 7:8-10, NLT)   

“Yes, I am afraid that when I come again, God will humble me in your presence.
And I will be grieved because many of you have not given up your old sins.
You have not repented of your impurity, sexual immorality,
and eagerness for lustful pleasure.” (2 Corinthians 12:21, NLT)   

Peter is warning believers about God’s destruction of all ungodly and unholy people:
“Then he used the water to destroy the ancient (ungodly) world … the day of judgment,
when ungodly people will be destroyed. … He is being patient for your sake. He does not
want anyone to be destroyed (perish spiritually), but (he) wants everyone to repent.
… what holy and godly lives you should live … (you) make every effort to be found living
peaceful lives that are pure and blameless in his sight.  … I am warning you ahead of time
… Be on guard so that you will not be carried away by the errors …” (2 Peter 3:6-17, NLT)     

John gives the condition for the Lord to forgive believers’ present sins:
“But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins
and to cleanse us from all wickedness (unrighteousness).” (1 John 1:9, NLT)   
 “This is an extremely important verse … all men need to be repeatedly purified from all
unrighteousness – from all their sins … We must confess our sins and turn from them
… We must also confess them with our actions … (John) is talking here about repentance
… we must hate our sins and turn from them. This is true repentance.”
(The Applied New Testament Commentary; Dr. Thomas Hale)

2 verses later, John reminds believers to ask Jesus to plead our case before the Father:
“My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin.
But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before
the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous.” (1 John 2:1, NLT)  

Believers are responsible for repenting of their sins after they are born-again!
They have been given the Holy Spirit, a totally new nature, and God’s word.
So, they have been enabled to be victorious overcomers over sin, the world,
and the devil. They have no excuse for failing to do this.

Fat:
Hello BC

On two of your verses I prefer to use the NAS.

--- Quote from: NAS ---2 Corinthians 7:8-10
8. For though I caused you sorrow by my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it-- [for] I see that that letter caused you sorrow, though only for a while--
9. I now rejoice, not that you were made sorrowful, but that you were made sorrowful to [the point of] repentance; for you were made sorrowful according to [the will of] God, so that you might not suffer loss in anything through us.
10. For the sorrow that is according to [the will] [of] God produces a repentance without regret, [leading] to salvation, but the sorrow of the world produces death.

2 Corinthians 12:21
21. I am afraid that when I come again my God may humiliate me before you, and I may mourn over many of those who have sinned in the past and not repented of the impurity, immorality and sensuality which they have practiced.
--- End quote ---

A lot of people will call themselves Christians but they have never repented from their ways. Repentance requires a change of attitude and lifestyle. Everyone that has been saved and lived any decent length of time has sinned again, it is the nature of man. The Christian will not embrace his shortcomings, he will always try to improve his relationship with his Creator. For those people who call themselves Christians and continue to live their old way of life and never actually enter into repentance Christ had this to say about them:

Matthew 7:22-23 NAS
22. "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
23. "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

I highlighted where he said "I never knew you", because it shows that these people never were saved, they never knew Christ and Christ never knew them because they never really did repent and turn from their old ways.

I believe strongly that once you are saved you are always saved, it is a work of our Lord Jesus Christ and it cannot be reversed by man or Satan. A true Christian will always try to be close as he can to his Lord, always seeking his favor and forgiveness. This is the new nature of the Christian and his rebirth.

Proof:
John 10:28-29
28. and I give eternal life to them, and they will never perish; and no one will snatch them out of My hand.
29. "My Father, who has given [them] to Me, is greater than all; and no one is able to snatch [them] out of the Father's hand.

John 3:16
16. "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.

Romans 8:38-39
38. For I am convinced that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers,
39. nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Hebrews 10:26
26. For if we go on sinning willfully after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

Hebrews 6:4-6
4. For in the case of those who have once been enlightened and have tasted of the heavenly gift and have been made partakers of the Holy Spirit,
5. and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come,
6. and [then] have fallen away, it is impossible to renew them again to repentance, since they again crucify to themselves the Son of God and put Him to open shame.

BCsenior:
Thanks Fat, for your very insightful reply!

21. "Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven,
but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. (NASB)
22. "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name,
and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
23. "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you;
DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Re: 21 --- Jesus says we must do Father God's will to enter the kingdom of heaven.
Re: 22 --- Jesus is talking to BACs!
Re: 23 --- W. E. Vine says that "knew" here means "approved of".

These BACs did NOT do the will of Father God.
They practiced lawlessness.
They were never approved of by Jesus.
They were NOT allowed to enter the kingdom of heaven.

Fat:

--- Quote from: BCsenior on November 11, 2018, 08:29:19 am ---Thanks Fat, for your very insightful reply!

21. "Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven,
but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter. (NASB)
22. "Many will say to Me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name,
and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name perform many miracles?'
23. "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you;
DEPART FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'

Re: 21 --- Jesus says we must do Father God's will to enter the kingdom of heaven.
Re: 22 --- Jesus is talking to BACs!
Re: 23 --- W. E. Vine says that "knew" here means "approved of".

These BACs did NOT do the will of Father God.
They practiced lawlessness.
They were never approved of by Jesus.
They were NOT allowed to enter the kingdom of heaven.

--- End quote ---

Either way you translate the word “knew” you still have the word “never”. It still comes out never saved.

Let me add that Christ was speaking in the future. THAT DAY, is the day of Judgement.

BCsenior:
Fat,
It just occurred to me ... didn't Jesus approve of them at the moment they received the Holy Spirit?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version