Bible Talk > Sound doctrine

Salvation is not of works

<< < (2/4) > >>

Theodore A. Jones:

--- Quote from: macuser on June 26, 2013, 11:38:06 pm ---Salvation is not of works.

Does this doctrine lead to problems?

Ephesians 2:4-14
4 But God, who is abundant in mercy, because of His great love that He had for us, 5 made us alive with the Messiah even though we were dead in trespasses. By grace you are saved! 6 He also raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the heavens, in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the coming ages He might display the immeasurable riches of His grace in [His] kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift- 9 not from works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are His creation-created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them.

But on the other hand.

James 2:18
But someone will say, "You have faith, and I have works." Show me your faith without works, and I will show you faith from my works.

--- End quote ---

But on the other hand:
"For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight , but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13

Zant Law:

--- Quote from: Theodore A. Jones on July 07, 2013, 06:09:27 am ---But on the other hand:
"For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight , but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13

--- End quote ---

Excuse me Mac if I respond. Mr. Jones has posted this verse all over the board and apparently has not studied it before hand.

I'll repeat, not once in the entire Law of Moses does it say that it was the means for people earning eternal salvation or a ticket to heaven. There was no promise of heaven for observing the Law. In fact we are told that it is impossible. If salvation can come from the law why then did Christ go to the cross? It was His act that saved you not your act of righteously obeying the law.

Then he believed in the LORD ; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.
Gen 15:6

Do not bring your servant into judgment,
  for no-one living is righteous before you.  (Psalm 143:2)

If you O Lord, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
    But with you there is forgiveness ...
     with him is full redemption.
      He himself will redeem Israel from all their sin.
                   (Psalm 130:3,7,8)

Theodore A. Jones:

--- Quote from: Zant Law on July 07, 2013, 10:35:29 am ---Excuse me Mac if I respond. Mr. Jones has posted this verse all over the board and apparently has not studied it before hand.

I'll repeat, not once in the entire Law of Moses does it say that it was the means for people earning eternal salvation or a ticket to heaven. There was no promise of heaven for observing the Law. In fact we are told that it is impossible. If salvation can come from the law why then did Christ go to the cross? It was His act that saved you not your act of righteously obeying the law.

Then he believed in the LORD ; and He reckoned it to him as righteousness.
Gen 15:6

Do not bring your servant into judgment,
  for no-one living is righteous before you.  (Psalm 143:2)

If you O Lord, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?
    But with you there is forgiveness ...
     with him is full redemption.
      He himself will redeem Israel from all their sin.
                   (Psalm 130:3,7,8)

--- End quote ---

Excuse me Mac. Mr. Jones has extensively studied why Paul wrote Rom. 2:13. It is the upstart who claims that I haven't who is the personage in error. Paul is not referencing the the law of Moses in his statement.   

clark thompson:
Salvation provide the heart to do good works by the Spirit working thru us.

Theodore A. Jones:

--- Quote from: macuser on June 26, 2013, 11:38:06 pm ---Salvation is not of works.

Does this doctrine lead to problems?

Ephesians 2:4-14
4 But God, who is abundant in mercy, because of His great love that He had for us, 5 made us alive with the Messiah even though we were dead in trespasses. By grace you are saved! 6 He also raised us up with Him and seated us with Him in the heavens, in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the coming ages He might display the immeasurable riches of His grace in [His] kindness to us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you are saved through faith, and this is not from yourselves; it is God's gift- 9 not from works, so that no one can boast. 10 For we are His creation-created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared ahead of time so that we should walk in them.

But on the other hand.

James 2:18
But someone will say, "You have faith, and I have works." Show me your faith without works, and I will show you faith from my works.

--- End quote ---

"For it is not those who hear the law who are righteous in God's sight, but it is those who obey the law who will be declared righteous." Rom. 2:13, and he also says "Do not go beyond what is written." 1 Cor. 4:6

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version