Bible Talk > Sound doctrine

The total depravity of man

(1/6) > >>

macuser:
Does the Bible teaches that man is totally depraved and that there's no good to be found in him?

Genesis 6:5
Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great on the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. NAS

The word continually used here leaves not much doubt, let's see what other version say.

The LORD saw how bad the sins of man had become on the earth. All of the thoughts in his heart were always directed only toward what was evil. NIV

And Jehovah seeth that abundant [is] the wickedness of man in the earth, and every imagination of the thoughts of his heart only evil all the day; YLT

I really believe that this is man without the Holy Spirit, what do you think?

biblebuf:
I think that the scriptures tell us that mans mind is depraved 24/7. Sometimes the unsaved man does what appears to be good but if you examine it closely you will usually find he does it for his own glory or benefit.

(New American Standard)

Job 15:16 How much less one who is detestable and corrupt, Man, who drinks iniquity like water !

Psalm 14:3 They have all turned aside, together they have become corrupt ; There is no one who does good, not even one.

Psalm 53:3 Every one of them has turned aside ; together they have become corrupt ; There is no one who does good, not even one.

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, therefore the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Romans 3:10 as it is written, "THERE IS NONE RIGHTEOUS, NOT EVEN ONE ;

Fat:
John 8:44 You are of your father the Devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning and has not stood in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he tells a lie, he speaks from his own nature, because he is a liar and the father of liars.

Zant Law:
A couple of things I would like to look at here, the first is our nature and lack of spiritual good before God. In Romans 7:18 Paul says, " I know that nothing good dwells within me, that is, in my flesh". In Titus 1:15 Paul states, " to the corrupt and unbelieving nothing is pure; they're very minds and consciences are corrupt".

I think it's pretty clear that Paul is telling us that we is a natural man lack any spiritual good. He goes on in Romans 8:8 to say, " those who are in the flesh cannot please God".
The author of Hebrews has this to say in Hebrews 11:6, "without faith it is impossible to please him". So it is also obvious that only the believers who have faith can please God.

clark thompson:
Man needs Jesus to have salvation, he is not good enough to get salvation on His on.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version